sexing through growth?

mebebraz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
When a male and a female sling are born at the same time, same specie, same momma, can you sex them through growth? I was curious as to the rate of growth between the sexes to maturity, I know the females life span is eons longer compared to males but do they grow and mature at the same rate?

Advocatus

Arachnopeon
As far as my understanding reaches, a male would mature before a female, which also makes mating siblings rather imposible ... any one here able to support that?

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't think there's any hard and fast rules, but many hobbyists (including myself) have noticed that many males tend to grow faster and mature sooner than the females. It's been speculated that this is helps cut down on sibling-to-sibling inbreeding, as when the female becomes mature her "brothers" are long gone.

Wade

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is my understanding as well. It would be a logical conclusion that in the circumstances you've described, your males would typically grow faster. I would dare to say though, that there would most likely be some exceptions to this rule. Nice rule of thumb, but not 100%.

Botar

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
good question. I have noticed that with the slings I have left from the B albopilosum sac, some are noticably larger than others. Whether that means male vs female I have no idea, will be interesting to find out down the line though!