Behavior Question

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My rosie sits on top of the log i have in its cage most of the time. It barely leaves it at all, it went underneath it one day but now its back on top of it. I thought rosies were burrowers? Anyways it gets aggetated when ever i go to pet it. It hasn't eaten in about 4 days and when i put food in its cage and the food climbs on top of the log my rosie just scares it off and doesn't catch it to eat it...is this normal behavior? How old are they usually before they molt and if it were going to molt would it be sitting on top of the log? What other signs point to it molting, could it be getting ready to?

Kittycat784

Arachnopeon
I have a Rosie too who acts extremley funny most of the time, but heck we all know Rosie's are funny anyways (so unpredictable). I have had my Rosie for about a year now, and I am not saying that I am an expert on them or anything. But I would not worry about it too much. Mine had a hide and went from using it to never using it. She also went on fasts for months at a time, and then eat again. I would just take care of her as normal and if she doen't eat the cricket take it out and try the next day eventually she will eat it. but make sure she always has enough water and make sure that the cricket is not to big for her to eat. animals are very unprdictable, their minds work in funny ways and sometimes all we can do is let time go and see if it improves.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Brando said:
My rosie sits on top of the log i have in its cage most of the time. It barely leaves it at all, it went underneath it one day but now its back on top of it. I thought rosies were burrowers?
G. rosea does not typically burrow in captivity.

brando said:
Anyways it gets aggetated when ever i go to pet it.
Don't pet it. Trust me, it doesn't like it.

Brando said:
It hasn't eaten in about 4 days and when i put food in its cage and the food climbs on top of the log my rosie just scares it off and doesn't catch it to eat it...is this normal behavior?
4 days is nothing to worry about. If it's an adult, you should only be feeding it about once a week anyways.

Brando said:
How old are they usually before they molt and if it were going to molt would it be sitting on top of the log? What other signs point to it molting, could it be getting ready to?
They molt their entire life. As adults, they usually molt around once per year.

If your spider kicks hairs, then you may notice the bald patch turning black.

Do a search for pre-molt behavior.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Check out the Sticky entitled "Rose Hair owners please read-how to really care for your G. Rosea" There is a TON of useful information there.
BTW--how do you "pet" your T? :?

Last edited:

Socrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bonesmama said:
BTW--how do you "pet" your T?
Hmm, let's see. I reach out and "touch" them. But wait, that's for my dogs and birds. Sorry. :8o

From my experience NO T enjoys being "petted", as in stroked, carressed, etc. It may actually end up with the T getting mighty p.o'ed and/or agitated/nervoes/uncomfortable, etc, therefore I leave the petting to my "other" pets. :)

---
Wendy
---

ScorpionBob

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my rosie has completely removed all the substrate from under her hide and blocked up one end with, depends on the particular animal i guess, and her behavior can be slightly mental, sometimes i can pick her rigth up, some times she's wants nothing to do with being handled....go figure....

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Rosies are odd.

As long as her abdomon is nice and round don't worry.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Malkavian said:
How big is it?
Important question when considering premolts.
Rosies are a strange T , never know what thier reasons are for acting kooky :p

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
it looks to be about 3" maybe a little smaller. Ignore the "pet" comment cause i was in a hurry when i wrote this.

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Apocalypstick said:
Important question when considering premolts.
Rosies are a strange T , never know what thier reasons are for acting kooky :p

Well, just going by what i've read here, it seems htat adult rosies are prone to randomly fasting; cant recall a sling having that behavior

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Do you think it is mature? it still looks small and the guy from the pet store, who owns alot of T's and has his own website, said it was still not mature.