post molt question

bman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How long should I wait after my T has molt to remove said molt? Also, how long should I wait to handle said T? Some people tell me to wait a few days, but I've seen pictures on here that claim the tarantula hours earlier, and it's already walking on someone's hand. Obviously I'm not going to dig out my T the moment it flips back onto it's feet, But I don't want to wait a long time either. The T's health is of course my main concern. What's the general opinon here?

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wait a day before i get the T out. While I have the lid open I also be sure the water is full. Everyone says not to handle Ts. Some ppl do. I was told it takes atleast a week before they harden.
i have also read a few ppl saying that thier T is more likely to bite after a molt. PMS- post molt syndrome. I would be very careful before sticking ur hand in there.

Overmenneske

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I would wait at least a week before handling a post-moult, adult tarantula.
When the spider's health is at stake; what's the freaking rush?

The shed moult can be picked up right away, as long as you do it quietly.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
On the molted skin.... they will usually move it away from themselves soon after they have completely escaped and had a bit of time to rest. They like to have room to 'spread out' thier new legs. As soon as you see the skin NOT touching the T, you can take it out. I'd use forceps though because of what was stated above " PMS".... never do anything to disturb or touch the T until it is at least drinking water.