**EMERGENCY!! Upright Molt**

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well It's happening to me right now....

My 4" B. smithi is in the corner molting upright. What should I do? I have sprayed the opposite side of the tank and put plastic on top to help with humidity.

Looks as if the carapace is already popped and the abdomen has split, just don't know how she is going to get her legs out from under her? :?

I don't want to lose this one! I confirmed her a female last molt! Any help would be great!

Attachments

Last edited:

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
very smart indeed glad everything is working out...upright molts :wall: i have yet to experience one but when it happens im sure ill be very very very nervous/paranoid. looks like one sexy girl you got there as well :D...good pics as well :clap:

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Beautiful Smithi! I'm glad it went well :clap: Molts are always a stressful time, even for the T ! {D lol! Can't wait to see more pics!

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Why do they tuck their legs in after a molt? :? I know this isn't the death curl. Are they just taking a breather after the hard job?

I will post another picture later when she turns over.

Attachments

delta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
because they are tired ;)

after some time she will start to move their legs (a kind of gymnastic) ..

cheers

Last edited:

Lyle Beach

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya... I was also thinking that maybe they stay like that for a while to give themselves time to harden up. Because maybe if they tried to right themselves, they might bend their legs out of shape.

delta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lyle Beach said:
Ya... I was also thinking that maybe they stay like that for a while to give themselves time to harden up. Because maybe if they tried to right themselves, they might bend their legs out of shape.
nope, they are ready to walk right after a molt.
the time for harding up is ca. 1 week for (sub)adult spiders and 2-3 days for slings

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lyle Beach said:
if you watch this process from the beginning to the end you notice it convulcing. It is stretching out its new exo. Once it gets out it starts this process.

Phood

Arachnopeon
I just started reading up on tarantulas and I've read "skin"(don't know the word) that is left from the moult is harmfull, I just wonder why?

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't worry about upright molts. I've had several over just the last year. The species were quite varied, including B.smithi, G.pulchra, X.immanis, A.geniculata, N.chomatus and G.rosea.

The rosie was the first, I was so freaked out I flipped it on its back then thought better of it and flipped it over again. Even though it had popped its carapace and started working its way out before I started flipping it, carefully, everything turned out O.K. Since then I just let it happen.

death1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I like....

I like it when you go to sleep and wake up to 2 Ts instead of 1. I went nuts trying to figure how the other one made her way in. After poking the molt, I figured it out. :eek:

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
death1 said:
I like it when you go to sleep and wake up to 2 Ts instead of 1. I went nuts trying to figure how the other one made her way in. After poking the molt, I figured it out. :eek:
lol, I woke of about a week ago and my 2ish inch p. regalis had molted and was much larger and I thought I had picked up a different spider when I looked at it.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Phood said:
I just started reading up on tarantulas and I've read "skin"(don't know the word) that is left from the moult is harmfull, I just wonder why?
It probably says that because the NW species still has urticating hairs on the discarded exuvium which can get on your skin.

Lyle: AWESOME molting sequence pics! Thanks so much for sharing!

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
becca81 said:
It probably says that because the NW species still has urticating hairs on the discarded exuvium which can get on your skin.

Lyle: AWESOME molting sequence pics! Thanks so much for sharing!
yeah i agree those hairs can give some people a real nasty reaction.