T.Blondi: Should the substrate be moist or not

zxcv1234

Arachnopeon
Should I keep the substrate moist or not. Other Ts I keep the substrate dry with a water dish.

Thanks {D

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would keep it moist, as she is big and she might need some more humidity :? not sure of what im saying

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This has been said by me and others many times...humidity is way overrated...I have a large female blondi and I keep her as well as all my other spiders on BONE dry substrate and a water dish...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you dont have problem with your T when it come's to molt ? I guess they get all their humidity needed from the bowl but the humidity environment probably help, no ?

delta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi,

yes - T. blondi likes it wet. but your substrate should not swim ;)

and keep her at 75 °F / day and 65-68 °F at night

cheers

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
By the time they are about to molt it is to late...they get all there hydration from food and the water dish that you provide...and no none of my 40 something spiders have any trouble molting.....

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
cool, i'll know it next time to dont freak out when I see my T molting in a dry enclosure

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
delta said:
hi,

yes - T. blondi likes it wet. but your substrate should not swim ;)

and keep her at 75 °F / day and 65-68 °F at night

cheers

That is a myth...T.blondi dont need the substrate to be wet or moist....

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im curious ... do you think that my Gbb will searsh a water source as long as she does'nt fint one or not, cuz my vivarium is pretty big for her, and the water bowl... I dont know if she would find it

delta

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
That is a myth...T.blondi dont need the substrate to be wet or moist....
nope, thats how they live in the nature.. sorry boy ;)

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thats a good point, we should represent as much as possible their natural environment

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am not going to get into a debate on this matter but having a spider in a tank is not NATURE !! and never will be...all I am saying is they dont need to be wet or moist to thrive...this topic has been covered a million times...as " Code Monkey" once said "humidity is a internet rumor" and I truely beleive that myself...all my spiders have done well in the past few years on dry substrate and a water dish....including T.blondi...

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mike H. said:
I am not going to get into a debate on this matter but having a spider in a tank is not NATURE !! and never will be...all I am saying is they dont need to be wet or moist to thrive...this topic has been covered a million times...as " Code Monkey" once said "humidity is a internet rumor" and I truely beleive that myself...all my spiders have done well in the past few years on dry substrate and a water dish....including T.blondi...

Mike, I agree with your position. Even TKG says that humidity is basically not that important. As long as they are provided water through a water dish and through their prey, they will do fine. Not to mention that you will have far fewer problems with mold, fungus and mites, which do cause problems for T's.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They also don't have water bowls in nature. Having a water bowl in most instances compensates for any moisture needs a tarantula may have. Dry substrate has many advantages, fewer mite and mold problems among them. Reproducing wild conditions in an aquarium is impossible. We might be able to cojur something that LOOKS like their natural habitat, but that's about it.

That said, I would suggest keeping newly imported T. blondi on the moist side with a water bowl, at least in the begining. They may be suffering from dehydration resulting from transport, and many imports have a poor survival rate. A higher humidity level to start out may help with acclimation. Once they're settled in and using the bowl, the captive environment can be gradually dried. It's important to observe the spiders behavior during this time, as it will give you valuable clues as to what you need to do. If it spends a lot of time straddling the bowl, raisng the humidity may be advisable.

If you do use moist substrate, in needs to only be barely moist. Not wet. If you are able to queeze water out of it in your hand, it is way,way too moist.

Wade

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Mike, eventho you will most certainly find my question very stupid and possibly even counterproductive or whatever (I'm trying my best! :D )... but humm... what humidity do you have in your house/flat/region? I'm just curious :rolleyes:

Cirith ;)

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cirith Ungol said:
Mike, eventho you will most certainly find my question very stupid and possibly even counterproductive or whatever (I'm trying my best! :D )... but humm... what humidity do you have in your house/flat/region? I'm just curious :rolleyes:

Cirith ;)

All my spiders are kept in the basement...in the winter the humidity is around 30% and in the summer it is around 45 %

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Ok. good to know because I find that still rather high if you compare it to the conditions here! I have normally max 20% hum!!! I don't really feel like trying if my spiders would do well in that low hum too to be honest :( but it reassures me that I don't nessessarily need 80 or 125.6934% hum to have them in good conditions as long as I feed them on a regular basis and supply with fresh water.

I guess you have some arboreals too mike? they fare equally well I guess??

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, I have a few P.regalis one adult female and 2 juvies and they all have water dishes...they all eat, molt , grow and have been thriving....

Regards, Mike :clap:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
T.Blondi like their substrate bone dry. End of story :D

-Mattyb