New to Millis...(Giant african black)

Magician

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello all,

I've deicded to expand my hobby into Millis. My local 'exotic' pet store carries some rather large african blacks, which i understand are good starter millis?
While i'am doing my research,i came up with a few questions-

-Could i keep one of these guys in a "repitle ranch" style critter keeper,with peat moss, a water dish,and something to hide under?
Do they need misting/heat?

- Will they take food that isn't rotten?

- How long could i expect one from a pet store to live (I've heard 10 years?)

- Also, are these guys really handleable, besides the toxin defense,which i understand only stains your hand?

thedreadedone

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello all,

I've deicded to expand my hobby into Millis.

Excellent - good choice

My local 'exotic' pet store carries some rather large african blacks, which i understand are good starter millis?

Yes, good starter species (but most millipedes are)

While i'am doing my research,i came up with a few questions-

-Could i keep one of these guys in a "repitle ranch" style critter keeper,with peat moss, a water dish,and something to hide under?

I keep mine in large tanks, with 4-5 inches of peat, dead leaves and woodchips. all have a waterdish. they need something to climb on, rather than something to hide under - they will burrow into the soil to hide. I give mine some cuttlefish bone to nibble on aswell

Do they need misting/heat?

in the UK, i heat mine in winter - heat mat at one end of the tank. i spray a few times a week

- Will they take food that isn't rotten?

they will eat most stuff - mine seem to prefer fresh food, not rotten - particularly cucumbers

- How long could i expect one from a pet store to live (I've heard 10 years?)

Depends how big/old it is when you get it, can live 10-15 years

- Also, are these guys really handleable, besides the toxin defense,which i understand only stains your hand

very handleable (unless you are ticklish!), like handling most animals - wash your hands before and after. the more you handle them, the less they will exude the defence liquid - from Giant African Blacks it will only stain your hands (but wash hands thoroughly after). when you pick up your pede, it will probably curl up - do not try to uncurl it, just let it sit on your hand, and keep your hand still until it relaxes and uncurls on its own.