Thailand ; Bangkok

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi guys, duno if this is appropraite but hopefully since this is an international forumboards, i might get some help around here.

I will be going to bangkok for a short holiday next mth or so, i was hoping to visit some shops that sell exotics and tarantulas...

but cant find any info or any shop addresses in the net, except for 1 at the Chutchuchak market..
anyone been there to buy tarantulas or noes any where in bangkok that has such shops... please post here.... hope to find out...

thanks.!

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where do u live? will they let u bring it back?

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Chances are you may see a couple venders in an outside market area selling a whole bunch of t's and other stuff. Venders sell them for food mainly and although those types of shops arent all over the place, they are there. Also I'm 95% sure you can't bring them back unless you go through a lot of paper work.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I only saw stuffed ones for sale when I was there esp. around Khao San Road. Petshops that sell other animals then fish or/and birds was no where in sight (allthought I didnt really look activly for them)

Why not pack a bag and go out in the forest and find a few Haplopelma on your own?
That would, in my opinion, be a better travelling memory then see halfdead ones at Chakuchak weekend market.

/Lelle

Kayv

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah the t's they have in a marlet are not really cared for since its for eating and they have so many of them. I really doub't you'll see these stands if you're in a tourist area, try to go more local into a Bangkok market place. If you do decide to go backpacking in the jungles, you may want to be careful and also check with the laws. Lots of venomous stuff there. Also the tarantulas and scorpions they sell for eating are VERY cheap. You could buy a few for around $3 probably less

P.S. I know Bangkok wasn't hit by the tsunami but is it ok to go there so soon? I would imagine some drastic stuff going on there right now.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
If you wanna go out in the forest I can recommend Khao Yai national forest, I have not been there personally but a friend have recently. Its only a few hours or so from Bangkok. One guesthouse (dont recall the name but if you are interested I can find it out) are runned by a german fellow who happens to be interested in herpetology so the whole place is usually full of herpetologists, ichtyologists, entomologist etc. They also have guides who can show you the critters in the wild. They even had a Haplopelma living in the yard :)

/Lelle

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
dont look for t's this place has beter "things" to offer :p:p:p

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BakuBak said:
dont look for t's this place has beter "things" to offer :p:p:p
I was wondering how long this post would go on before someone said something like this.

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
As for Me it wos too long :] :]

4 me its a place where i could spend the rest of my life :]

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am gonna feel stupid for writing this, but i dont get it. My curiosity has gotten the best of me. Educate this american that has never been to the east.

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
Yes you can find them in Bangkok. Yes you can bring them back. But. If the Thai authorities catch you taking them out with you, without a CITES declaration, it will be a hassle. On the US end, it will cost between $100 and $200 to clear customs with them. Again, your CITES forms must be filled out, but as there are no SEA specie on "the list" as long as you have your paperwork they should pass you. Oh, and if the any of the customs agents arachnophobic it could be amusing. I strongly suggest that they NOT be displayed to the flight crew on the aircraft! :eek:

Oh, and if it's a meal you are looking for, I have attached an image of street vender from Chatuchak. :}

See my post at:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=38821&page=3

Attachments

NightCrawler27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
bagheera said:
Yes you can find them in Bangkok. Yes you can bring them back. But. If the Thai authorities catch you taking them out with you, without a CITES declaration, it will be a hassle. On the US end, it will cost between $100 and $200 to clear customs with them. Again, your CITES forms must be filled out, but as there are no SEA specie on "the list" as long as you have your paperwork they should pass you. Oh, and if the any of the customs agents arachnophobic it could be amusing. I strongly suggest that they NOT be displayed to the flight crew on the aircraft! :eek:

Oh, and if it's a meal you are looking for, I have attached an image of street vender from Chatuchak. :}

See my post at:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=38821&page=3

Now out of curiousity... What is on that cart? whats the names of all those different exotic tastes? im not trying to disrespect any culture ...but do they put it on like bread or just eat them like that?are they fried?

Last edited:

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
Lessee.... All of them are sort of deeo fried in a wok. There are rice birds, sort of embyonic chicks. Big water bugs, smaller waterbug (or possibly roaches), grasshoppers, grubworms, crickets, and my favorite--fried scorpions! They go in a bag and you can munch them with your beer. Or not, if you prefer lol

BakuBak

Arachnolord
Old Timer
it is realy good!! amd sometimes thay are only dryed - i think but its good ... the only thing that untasted me is durian - its smells terible :[

tarcan

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As far as I know, there are no CITES protected theraphosids in the whole Asian continent...

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
Until recently there was only a single T on the list. Brachpelma smithii. I have heard that a second Mexican? species has just/or is about to go on CITES.

I brought back a "no durian" sign for my warehouse. It is in the eating area.....

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hMM thanks guys! but den again. i do know of shops in chatchuchak. but are those stalls the onli stalls that sales them in the whole of bangkok?

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
It is the most concentrated in BKK. People there often have shops elsewhere, but everyone has a presence in Chat. Make sure you check out Viva Cafe, in section 26. Real espresso!

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Section26.. woa.. didnt noe chatchucak has sections.. to me it just looks like a whole bunch of human mass.

bro bagheera. u mentioned that it's e most concentrated area. does it onli mean i can find tarantulas for sale in chatchucak ? been there once or twice b4, in the pets section i saw about 2 shops selling exotics onli..