Lighting ?

ScorpionBob

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Searched thru some threads but was not able to find a whole lot on lighting. What type of lighting do u folks reccommend for a G. Rosea? I believe that I read they are primarily nocturnal. Are there any pros or cons to simulating day/night for T's? Is it necessary?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I keep mine everytime in the dark, as much as possible ... they will be more visible this way I think ... if you really want a light then I suggest a blacklight, I think they wont bother with that

Scott C.

Arachnofloater
Old Timer
I'm no expert, but I've heard that black lights are not so good for inverts.
Supposedly, red light does not bother inverts. I have no experience with this, but if you search for it you'll find something as I have read it here on the boards more than a few times.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well if you would read the keepers guide then you would know that heat lamps are not good for Ts. The book recomends not using heat lamps, because they easily dehydrate your Ts. It recomends using a heating pad under the tank, but have deep substrate. If the tank gets too hot it will stress out your T. But i do understand if you need heat lamps in the winter.

-Mattyb

Abraxis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Red Lights...

I would have to Agree with Scott...

I have a Red Lava Lamp and leave it on... they don't seem to get agitated by it... and have seen some interesting behaviors from them... and when the normal light goes on... BANG... instant rocks... as for normal lighting... I work nights so no lights on at night... and I keep the blinds closed and the room keeps pretty dark during the day... they seem to LOVE it...

Ken

Joeyo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have also read that red light is good. supposedly Ts cannot see the red light and will still think that they are in the dark. again, im no expert, but i distinctly remember reading this. if im wrong, someone will correct me 8P

KingBollock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't have my spiders lit yet but I'm intending to soon. UV lighting is bad for inverts as prolonged exposure damages their exoskeleton. I'm going to buy cold cathode ray tubing. A 30cm long tube with power supply costs just £10 in the UK (£5.99 if you buy at Maplins at the moment) and, as the name suggests, it gives off no heat and it comes in many colours (including black light).
Maplins.co.uk
I'm not sure if this helps US residents but you must be able to get the same thing from somewhere.

Another possibility is El Wire

ScorpionBob

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanx for the info folks, my enclosure is in the bedroom. it's dark in there most of the time...so i guess there really isn't anything to change. although the cold cathode setup is something to think about....

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I was of the understanding that Ts need exposure to 'natural light' to some degree each day....even if they become "rocks" or go into hide. But no direct sunlight glaring into thier habitats. Keeping them in the dark 24/7 disrupts thier natural diurnal cycles. Anyone else heard this theory?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I have. In addition to that I've heard that a good replacement for natural sunlight is to give the Ts feeders that contain a healthy ammount of vitamin D and that vit-D is important for moulting. That's what I've heard

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep a moon lamp on my Brachypelmas. They love to sit out and bask. When the light goes off they go in thier burrows. Its a shame not to be able to see B. boehmeis and smithis. They are way too pretty to hide.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dunno why you all use heat lamps....i sure don't want my Ts to be dehydrated.....but hey if its cold in your room, and you need them then go for it....i just don't see why anyone would need them.

-Mattyb

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
I dunno why you all use heat lamps....i sure don't want my Ts to be dehydrated.....but hey if its cold in your room, and you need them then go for it....i just don't see why anyone would need them.

-Mattyb
I don't think its a question of heat. They are using the lights to either view the T's or provide a day/night cycle.
Mike

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think it is important for our T's to have some natural light during the day-this way they know by the length of light what time of year is is, etc.- since we heat our homes (and those of us with slings keep our T rooms warmer than the rest of the house) and light them artificially, I think it is important to try to keep the lighting as natural as possible ( I'm not talking direct sunlight, here-IMO I don't think it's good to keep them in the dark 24/7) For artificial light I use red light bulbs. They're cheap, and can go into any lamp. As for heat and humidity- I have a ceramic heater and warm air humidifier. They are not expensive to use, and have thermostats & controls so I know exactly what's going on in the room. For my T's who need lower temp & hum., I keep them farthest from these appliances, and my slings closer.

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
so blacklights are bad for T's over a long period of time? What about having it on for like an hour while watching them?

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to keep very dim bulbs over my G. rosea, but eventually stopped using them. I keep the blinds open in the window near the T's - so they can sort of tell what season it is, and act accordingly. I had read that this helps keep them on some sort of balance, but the only light in here is not natural light - I have to have artifical light (lamps, etc.) as living in Alaska gives me extremely short days in mid-winter. I seriously doubt the Ts get as short of days in the wild as they do here (4 hours of daylight - I doubt it!) and I'm sure they don't get many days of 24 hour sunlight either... like my mid-summer. So I try to tend toward the natural lighting to continue to give them cues, but I don't leave the blinds open all night in the summer, nor leave all the lights off in the winter. I try to keep the lights within a couple of hours of the natural lighting though... I don't want to deprive them of all cues.

I haven't tried red or blue or black lights to give them their own lighting, or to use it to view (although I personally think it would distort any watching I would do somewhat).

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Mine are in dim light. Mine don't seem to havea problem yet :?

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep my T's in the living room, my house is quit so they don't get disturbed a lot in there. I do open the blinds in the day time, no it don't put light direct into the tanks but it does allow them to know night from day.

I do know that animals humans or other wise have an internal clock, part of the way it works is by lighting. We 'fool' horses into believing it is summer for breeding or coat growth, but they are always allowed time in the dark for sleep.
I don't think they (T's) will rest if they think it is dark all the time, day light is natures way of letting them know it's time to go in or time to get up. So yes I feel it is very important that they know night from day. Just my opinion and we all know about those :rolleyes:

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since there isn't any actual evidence showing that a day/night cycle is important for tarantulas, I don't see any reason to make it a priority. Until there is proof that a lack of a cycle can interfere with eating, molting, breeding, etc. I see no reason to encourage it.