Molting questions

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all,
I am a new T owner, and tonight i found my chilean rose hair on her back. I'm assuming that she has started to molt. How long should this process take from flipping on her back to beginning to emerge? Any specific caring instrustions other than to leave it alone?
thanks.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
time range from 2 and 1/2 to 5 or 6 hours. Mine take 3 and 4 hours.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
time range from 2 and 1/2 to 5 or 6 hours. Mine take 3 and 4 hours.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

-Mattyb

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The times others mentioned are pretty accurate. As you guessed, just leave her alone and don't bother her for about a week after either. Defnitiely don't feed her for at least a week. Watch her fangs. They need to be completely dark before you attempt feeding her.

Now, sit back and watch in amazement.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
I couldn't have said it better myself. :clap:

-Mattyb
Thats because we were talking about this earlier. Mattyb's Rose hair took 2 1/2 hours to molt last time.
I would leave it alone and keep the room dark and quiet. Dont feed for a week. Be sure they are nice and hard.

Derfjuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G. rosea took about 2 hours to molt ... i left for the bar and he was fine .... i came back and he was a new MAN! but since your posting and asking youre playing it smart ... so as long as you continue to play it smart you will be fine ... just give her some time and like they said, watch the fangs.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
follow-up

My Grammostola rosea has been on her back and not moving since 9pm... that makes about 5-5.5 hours. Normal?
Been watching since beginning, I was just going to go to bed and leave her alone.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
another follow-up

just as I posted last message, I went to cage and she is pumping legs slowly.
First movement in hours. Normal?

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As long as he/she is making progress, everything should be alright. Do you plan on staying up until he/she is finished?

-Mattyb

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
4:25am update

yes...of course I cannot go to sleep until this is over.
She is mostly out and the old carapace is convulsing from time to time. Looks like two live animals for now.
Fascinating!

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One More Question

I want to remove the molt as soon as possible to keep it. When can I be sure not to injure/freak out the spider?
Any clues about preserving molt in good shape?

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Once the T has gone away from the molt it should be fine to remove it, of course that is if the T didn't forget his wallet or something in his other outfit.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
The times others mentioned are pretty accurate. As you guessed, just leave her alone and don't bother her for about a week after either. Defnitiely don't feed her for at least a week. Watch her fangs. They need to be completely dark before you attempt feeding her.

Now, sit back and watch in amazement.
They don't need to wait a week before feeding. The latest I've seen a T need to go before thier fangs harden is 2-3 days. I'd wait 4 days at the most to be safe. Make sure to offer some water when she's up on her feet again too.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
IMO- from what I've observed it depends on the size ot the T as well as a couple other things...how big is she? My largest T took @ 10 hrs. on her last molt. Just leave her alone and keep her warm unless she looks like she's having trouble-stuck legs, etc. This is the most amazing part of T keeping- it always blows my mind! {D

Gemein

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Brando said:
Once the T has gone away from the molt it should be fine to remove it, of course that is if the T didn't forget his wallet or something in his other outfit.
ROFLMAO... I wonder if they're need to update their photo ID since they're a new T. :?
Congrats man; it's amaizing how life works. Please keep us updated on the T; hope everything goes great