mold mold mold

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is mold really a big deal for our Ts? what harm can it inflict? my h. lividum's enclosure has mold again..although not sever just a few tiny spots at the base of her lair where she dug..it was wet too which, to my surprise shouldn be as it was placed very well ventilated...this is the 3rd time she has faced this problem ...i managed to coax her out of it and for now have sunk the tunnel in..i had to do it..i do feel bad for her..but thats all i can do for now..no more topsoil..what do u guys think? is it really harmful?

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think I've read somewhere on here that it could be deadly if the mold enters the booklungs.Being that I have read so much info,and have such a tiny brain,the info stated above may be incorrect.
Try the search engine.

AlanMM

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mold can be deadly for slings.
I saw pics of dead slings couvered with mold... (and the cause was mold)

But occasionaly, i also have mold in some of my tanks. Even in the tanks that are kept very dry.
So, it hasn't much to do with the humidity.
Very important for not having mold is good ventilation (double ventilation, airflow).
Fot the adults, i don't see that they are suffering when i keep them a few weeks in a tank that has some mold. But still, when i see some, i change the substrate when i can...

For the slings i do it immediatly...

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are getting mold then the soil is way to moist....let it dry out after she has made a burrow...leave a water dish in there and she will be fine...

Regards, Mike

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You have two choices. 1. dump the soil and go to coconut fiber. 2. Soak the soil, cook it to 500 f in the oven until dry, and keep the cage on the drier side. There is a school of thought that says to keep every tarantula on dry substrate. There is also a really high rate of death too. Some do this and it may work for GBB or Rosie but not for H. lividum. H. lividum needs higher tempatures and humidity. I keep my in moist coconut fiber and she is really happy. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY MOLD IN ANY CAGE EVER! A water dish is needed, just in case.

TheDarkFinder