T. blondi (Goliath Birdeater) Color Question

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I have had my Goliath Birdeater for some time now and the coloring has brought up some questions.

When I first got it, the color was like a western brown found on saddles. It was that way for about 9 months till the molt.

After the molt, it turned blackish. Couple more months pass and it molted again. Now it is still blackish. It is not turning brown anymore. Was the brown coloration becuase I wasn't putting enough humidity in the air at that time? Any ideas?

Last edited:

Spiderling LT

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:
I have had my Goliath Birdeater for some time now and the coloring has brought up some questions.

When I first got it, the color was like a western brown found on saddles. It was that way for about 9 months till the molt.

After the molt, it turned blackish. Couple more months pass and it molted again. Now it is still blackish. It is not turning brown anymore. Was the brown coloration becuase I wasn't putting enough humidity in the air at that time? Any ideas?
Congrats You have one of to varietys T. blondi. In comon Goliath is brown and others is black. I dont know why are they black, but for my black spider is more beautiful.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I was under the impression that T. blondi would "brown out" before an upcoming molt, and then appear very blackish after a molt.

You have a beautiful T regardless of the reason for the color. I don't believe that humidity has anything to do with it.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
becca81 said:
I was under the impression that T. blondi would "brown out" before an upcoming molt, and then appear very blackish after a molt.

You have a beautiful T regardless of the reason for the color. I don't believe that humidity has anything to do with it.

Thats what I was told about the molting process of the Goliaths. I was told that they will brown out as they near a molt. After that First molt and two more, it is still black. Would I happen to have a abnormal coloration T. blondi or do I have a Pinkfoot Goliath?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:
Thats what I was told about the molting process of the Goliaths. I was told that they will brown out as they near a molt. After that First molt and two more, it is still black. Would I happen to have a abnormal coloration T. blondi or do I have a Pinkfoot Goliath?
Goliath Pinkfoot, T. apophysis resembles T. blondi very much in coloration.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine turned black as well, it has been a few months since the last molt and staying nicely black. Though he was very brown before the molt.

David Richards

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
T. Apophysis

I have a couple 9 inch or so T. apophysis and yours look Identical. I have heard it is a common mix up i the trade if it is not a documented animal. Mine have always faded from black to a dull brown as you describe. Dave

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:

From the palps of your new black blondi I would say you have a male. I don't know if this would affect color. Time to seek a date for him.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I do belive it is a male too!
At this time he has no hooks or bulbs. I am taking a trip to Regals soon to get a bunch of stuff and will be picking up allot of T. blondis. Them and Versicolors seem to be my favorites.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This species doesn't get hooks. Yours has male bulbs. He won't be molting again. He is mature!

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Goliath...

David is correct, you have a handsome male there! I could use him for my two girls! :D
As far as the color inquiry, the skin fades with time to the "light/orange" phase. After a shed the new skin is dark chestnut brown, only because it is new. Most T's after a shed are rich in color, having their original glory restored.
This is one of my girls the day after a shed.
Greg :)

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Na...I'll be holding onto him for good while breeding to my soon to get females. He was my first T and I can't let him go.

Here are some ventral pics and some of the palp area. As far as I can tell no bulbs yet.