Avicularia avicularia

pepperhead85

Arachnopeon
Hey just wondering if there's any other type of T's that can live together like these guys. I'm looking threw google now so if any of you know please post thanx

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Communal T's...

Avicularia's and Pokies can live together providing there is ample food and space. I currently have a Suntiger pair living together (Psalmopoeus Irminia) and a Grammastola Grossa pair living together. Both females have yet to show any aggression to their males. That may change but these two pairs have been in the same cage for 2 weeks now.
I surmise that aboreal's have a more open approach to communal living than their terrestial counterparts.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I also have a 10 gallon P murinus tank with 10 small P murinus in it. THey share tunnels, etc. These have never been separated since they emerged from the same eggsac....although one of these days I'll have to move the males out.

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
From Journal of Arachnology Volume: 32 Issue: 2 Pages: 324-331
Authors: Varrecchia, Melissa M., Gorley, Vanessa A., Marshall, Samuel D.

"...observations made on captive populations indicate that Hysterocrates spp. tarantulas have an unusually high level of mutual tolerance and captive juveniles have been observed to feed cooperatively on large prey until several months old. Cannibalism was only observed in one instance, in a group of four."

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Greg Wolfe said:
Avicularia's and Pokies can live together providing there is ample food and space. I currently have a Suntiger pair living together (Psalmopoeus Irminia) and a Grammastola Grossa pair living together. Both females have yet to show any aggression to their males. That may change but these two pairs have been in the same cage for 2 weeks now.
I surmise that aboreal's have a more open approach to communal living than their terrestial counterparts.
be prepared cus sooner or later they will eat eachother G rosea is not communal

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
most of the pokies can be kept communaly same with avicularia. There are a few of the smaller T that can laso be kept communally

eg Heterothele villosella I have kept these togetehr for a while now with no problems

Psalmopoeus cambridgei community I have is also doing well

My P murinus comminity is ok but I've had one canablisim.

A Avics are doing fine

I havent got enough pokies slings a the moment to try that one but otehr peopel I know are doing fine with them.

SpydrWorks

Arachnopeon
There is always a chance of someone getting eaten when you put spiders together. It doesn't always work and if it does, rarely for very long. Avicularia species, though known for the occassional tolerance of a roommate, aren't really communal. Nursery spiders are. That's a true communal spider. When they gather together in the wild is when they are truely communal. Slings generally do stick close to each other for awhile, but sooner or later it does come time to stretch legs, throw webs, bare fangs depending on species and demand space away from siblings. More power to those who succeed at community spider tanks. They are few and far between.

Derfjuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
im a bit too nervous to want to risk making a communal tank ... it would have to be a project that i bought into purely to start that project ... not just a way to save space. I would be very upset if i lost a T.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Here I quote a Japanese T book: (In Japanese) World of Tarantulas, by Akira Tomimizu, 1996. Under tree spiders, there's "Delopelma cyanopubescens (Orange Bottom Blue tarantula)" now known as C. cyanopubescens (GBB), and part of the description went like this...

"Like Avicularia spp., may be enjoyed by keeping together in multiple numbers..."

Communal GBB's anyone? :?

Wolvie56X

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so whats the concensus on communal T's so far, Avics, pokies and what else?

Cooper

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
"Anyone try a communal tank with Poecilotheria metalica?"

Bruce Carr had a communal set-up with at least 6-8 juvies/adults in the same tank. It was awesome. That was at the last calgary show.

SpydrWorks

Arachnopeon
IThough some can live together, the risk of cannibalism is always there. I tried a communal tank with the avacalaria species before just to be disappointed when one decided she didn't want any tank mates. She had a hefty meal...lol. I guess out in the wild they're less likely to eat each other because out in the wild they don't have pane glass in their way when trying to escape their attacker.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Holothele incei are also known to be communal, with several living in the same burrow. Tarcan (Martin) has started a colony of about 80 specimens. I just started one with 27.

NYCspiderGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Quote:Here I quote a Japanese T book: (In Japanese) World of Tarantulas, by Akira Tomimizu, 1996. Under tree spiders, there's "Delopelma cyanopubescens (Orange Bottom Blue tarantula)" now known as C. cyanopubescens (GBB), and part of the description went like this...

"Like Avicularia spp., may be enjoyed by keeping together in multiple numbers..."

Communal GBB's anyone?

What is this?
I have no intention of trying it myself, but curious to hear if there is anything to this story.
Any ideas?

I have A. avics together, growing fast. Probably move to larger tank this week as several have just molted. They share spaces and wander around freely... very cool to see them interact. Everyone else gets a Private Room.

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dave(Arachnomaniak) Had 4 juvenile Poecilotheria Regalis in the same tank.(the tank was around 10 gallons) And they seemed alright with eachother. Jordan (8 leg wonder) has a pair of Poecilotheria Rufilata living together in the same tank.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
The communal P murinus tank was dismantled last week, when I separated the mature males out. I was left with 5 out of the 9 original. I suspect that if I'd have moved them sooner, when they were smaller, and given them more room, I'd have ended up with the entire 9.
The regalis community was abandoned when they started having problems molting. I think my tank conditions, coupled with moving them while in premolt, started the chain of events that led to the demise of over half of them.
The only actual cannabalism I witnessed was my bigger female eat her smaller sister right after I rehoused the last 3 together. The big one seemed to be 'defending' her territory by the heating mat. The little one tried to share it, and the big one ate her.

G_Wright

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
NYCspiderGuy said:
Quote:Here I quote a Japanese T book: (In Japanese) World of Tarantulas, by Akira Tomimizu, 1996. Under tree spiders, there's "Delopelma cyanopubescens (Orange Bottom Blue tarantula)" now known as C. cyanopubescens (GBB), and part of the description went like this...

Communal GBB's anyone?

QUOTE]

That would never work gbb liek there own space and a visious towards other os the same species. Mating these are fun you lose lost of males.

I went through 3 males before one actually mated before it got munched too bad the fem moulted before droping a sac