UV wave length Scorpions

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does anyone know at what wave length scorpions fluoresce? Will they still show a good 'glow' in the 395-410nm range?

Thanks,
Matt

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Scorpions flourese between about 275nm-450nm, so the 395-410nm would cause flouresence, but the intensity might be quite low.

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
MrMatt needs a shirt on.... :confused: :clap: ....no offense, but seriously.

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
SpaceHawk said:
MrMatt needs a shirt on.... :confused: :clap: ....no offense, but seriously.

Then I guess you better not look here ;P

Quick avert your eyes.
:8o

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I have heard that the peak wavelength for scorpion fluorescence is around 360-370nm(365?)...though I can't recall for the life of me where I saw it...maybe Dave remembers?

John
];')

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It varies depending on species, peak excitiaton occurs at 365nm in P. imperator, 360nm in C. vittatus (another is shifted by a bit more but I can't remember what it was) but 365nm is going to give you basicaslly maximum fluorescence, there are several papers on a few species.

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
I have heard that the peak wavelength for scorpion fluorescence is around 360-370nm(365?)...though I can't recall for the life of me where I saw it
... here ?

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
fusion121 said:
Scorpions flourese between about 275nm-450nm, so the 395-410nm would cause flouresence, but the intensity might be quite low.
...but range (distance) is more in important with 395 than 365 no ?
Anyway, I don't understand very well these things, but I bought a Xenopus 395nm and scorpions fluoresce very well :)

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
The field collecting lamps dave and I made last year peaked at 405nm and worked very well. We could observe scorpions (C.vittatus/exilicauda and V.spinigerus) fluorescing out to more than 25ft(7.5m). The advantage of having the 405nm we believe was to allow more visible light with which to see rattle snakes. :eek:

John
];')

mimic58

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Will the regular 6inch black light fluresnt tubes works ? , You know the kind they use to check money with

MrMatt

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks for the link Ythier,

mimic, the tubes work fine except I usually end up with a sore back. The range on them is short and I end up having to walk hunched over.

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can usually find good lights either online or at party supply stores. you are right about the tubes though, it sucks having to hunch over. I had back surgery a year or so ago and it sucks looking for scorps with a tube!

SpaceHawk

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kugellager said:
The field collecting lamps dave and I made last year peaked at 405nm and worked very well. We could observe scorpions (C.vittatus/exilicauda and V.spinigerus) fluorescing out to more than 25ft(7.5m). The advantage of having the 405nm we believe was to allow more visible light with which to see rattle snakes. :eek:

John
];')

what did you make it out of?