Behavior question

bman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I noticed today while watching my little ones eat that my Avicularia Metallica and my Acanthoscurria Geniculata will nibble on the cricket a little, then stop and wrap it up in webbing, then nibble some more, then wrap it up more, then eat more. My Euphalastrus Campestratus doesn't do this, though. It just eats. Any ideas why they do this? It's fun to watch, I was just curious why.

cryptly

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've seen this before with my G. rosea. My guess is that she's making sure all the cricket bits stay in one place so she can eat them all. Kind of like a kid licking the ice cream bowl, gotta get every last bit. {D

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine do this too- I don't know why, but I just love it when they rear up and stick their fangs in-my favorite part :evil:

Derfjuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hahaha you sadistic little ....

nah i agree ... watching the unusual habits of T's is a favorite past time of every user of this board im sure ... ESPECIALLY when it comes to the decimation of a crickets insignifigant life :evil:

Gemein

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've acctually caught my G. rosea doing this; but he only does it on special occassions it seems. Perhaps the webbing adds flavor? Kinda like a cricket lasagna or something; who knows!... I say "whatever floats their boats". I guess it sort of adds some sort of entertainment to watching them :D

jeffh_x

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think most arboreals do this..yea i guess it is to wrap up their meals..makes it easier to slurp?

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Behavior question...

I have watched hundreds of T's eat over the years and many have different eating habits. Why they nibble and drop, then silk some and nibble is beyond me. I do enjoy watching them as they "dig in" to their cricket/mouse buffet.
Sometimes, especially my avics will kill and wrap them for "later" to eat.
My favorite is my Blondi's and Lasiodora's, who, upon feeding stuff as much as they can hold in their mouth. A dozen or more crix stuffed in there, such hogs have no table manners! LOL. :D

bman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
jeffh_x said:
i think most arboreals do this..yea i guess it is to wrap up their meals..makes it easier to slurp?
yeah, but my a. geniculata is not arboreal. It doesn't matter. It's damn cool whatever the reason.

Pheonixx

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Animals, unlike humans, try their damdest not to waste food.

Spiders, especially tarantulas dont always "know" when their next meal is so they get all they can out of it.

ShaunHolder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've always believed T's web up thier prey as a way to subdue it. A lot of T's will first bite the prey and hold it while the venom does its thing. Then they lay web in a circle around them and wrap it up so it's not as free to struggle, or cause damage while twitching. It might not seem nessicary for some smaller prey items like a cricket or a meal worm, but something larger could cause serious damage while the T tries to put it down. Just like they move thier lift thier legs from the prey, I think it's another way to ensure the T doesn't sustain any damage while having it's meal.

Pandora®©™

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The one and only time I fed my A seemani a fuzzy, she missed it a couple of times, it's the first time I had seen her go after her food. Most time she sits and waits for it. She chased this one down and once she caught it she ran to her favorite corner and happily sat there eating away.
The second one I offered her she freak out when I put it in there, flicking hairs at it, she even bit it and then took off. I wont do that again. :eek: