'tis the season to be venemous.. indeed!!!

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Woohooo!!
My boyfriend gave me the ultimate gift today!!:D :D I got my first T. Blondi!! I think she's female, and she's fairly small, about 4-4.5 inches and I think she's going to moult soon (bald spot on butt).
But I am very happy! :D

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Anyone have any suggestions on what to name her? My boyfriend thinks I ought to call her Fido, and I might because she will be so big =D but I want a more feminine name. Also, any advice how to care for her? I am used to grammastolas, avicularias, and brachypelmas, and I only have two other aggressive spiders.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How about Christy, named after Christmas..;)

Ernie

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Congrats on the new T. Wait until you get to hear her hiss, it's so cool. We have a 9" female we call Nakitta and I can tell you they sure love to throw their hairs at you if you make them mad!

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Well, my vote goes for 2 names; Large Marge or, Big Bertha. =D Now, your questions..

I keep my Kaja moist, and she has a large half log to hide in. Strangely, she has never burrowed. It might be the log. Large water dish, and I feed her as much as she wants, twice a week.
I don't find mine to be aggressive, rather bold. If I lift the lid, to clean and all, she comes out of her log, and stands there. Occasionally, I'll get a hiss worthy of a large snake, but that's it. I do have long tweezers, to feed my snakes with. Just to be safe, I use them to catch leftover cricks, or to clean. Already, she's got very impressive fangs. I'm more concerned about the wound than the venom.
Now, her bristles..VERY irritating. If I clean her vivarium out, I take it outside, and, either wear a mask, or turn my head when I empty it out. Btw, mine is already taking pinkies. I think she's about 5-6 inches. (I could be wrong) She's as big as my adult female rosie.

Peace,
Gillian

Hamadryad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My suggestion for her name....

How about Arachnea.....the goddess of the spider kingdom....ohhhhhh hail the mighty arachnea....she who rules most imperiously over the kingdom of spiders...blessed be she who eateth the pinkie and molts with everlasting grace...may her fangs grow ever longer and may she spin webs of sinister beauty...

Ok I am feeling a little nuts tonite...
;P The Evil Spider Hunter

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wait until you get to hear her hiss, it's so cool. We have a 9" female we call Nakitta and I can tell you they sure love to throw their hairs at you if you make them mad!
So.. I wasn't going crazy when I thought I heard her hissing at me in the car... =D
She does have a bald butt.. I took it to mean she's going to molt soon but she did attack the cricket I fed her the morning after I got her...I might go along the lines of what MrT said and call her Eve since I got her on Xmas eve, but I'm not sure. I like the other names too! {Hint to bf.. I need more spiders so I can name them all!;P }
Thanks for the advice tho, I am definitely going to be careful with her until I get used to her temperament.

ArachnoJoost

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by veronyka
She does have a bald butt.. I took it to mean she's going to molt soon but she did attack the cricket I fed her the morning after I got her...
A bald butt doesn't necessarily mean that it is going to molt, just that it has thrown a lot of hairs... You can see when the spider is about to molt by the darkening of the bald spot.
Good luck with your Blondi!
Joost

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok everyone.. here she is, pardon the poor quality (it was taken with a webcam after all..:rolleyes: )
This is Eve, my Xmas T. Blondi! Isn't she beautiful? She stays hidden but my guess is that she's about 5 inches across right now =D =D

Attachments

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I tried to get her out from under the log but nothing doing. If I can get lil' miss shyness out sometime I'll try to get a better picture of her.

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats a great name, christmas "Eve".
Now all you need to do is add her to your sig. line...;)

Ernie

veronyka

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah you're right! I can't believe I forgot about her! :? Duh!!
Thanks for reminding me! And much love to my boyfriend Ryan for giving her to me!=D