Anybody handled any defensive t's before?

evil_educator

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi.

I was wondering if any of you guys who own T's like H. lividum, H. minax, T. Blondi, C. Crawshayi, P. murinus and other very defensive T's actually handled them before?

taorchard1987

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ive held my h.lividum before,, thats was only because she got out, this was about a month ago when i first had her, she didnt mind much but i wouldnt advise anyone to try it.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Look in the pics forum under words like "giant", "Theraphosa", "handling" there you will eventually find many pics of people holding various defensive Ts.

evil_educator

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
taorchard1987 said:
ive held my h.lividum before,, thats was only because she got out, this was about a month ago when i first had her, she didnt mind much but i wouldnt advise anyone to try it.
Wow she didn't mind? I was trying to pick up my H. minax. When i touched the legs, it turned and was about to bite me. Luckily i took out my hand just in time. I don't think she likes to be handled at all.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You know... they never "like" being handled. They respond to it as a threat, or they don't.

Certain species are more likely to respond to it as a threat.
IF you search for "handle" and "aggressive" you will get many returned results.
(sounds like a tarantula hobbyists fortune cookie)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
From the info I have read about my T I will never handle it unless an emergancy. apperently it has more potent venom than an average T. :confused:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
heum yes defensive T usually have more "toxic" venom then the general , and + the spider is more defensive I would'nt risk a defensive T

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
heum yes defensive T usually have more "toxic" venom then the general , and + the spider is more defensive I would'nt risk a defensive T
And why would that be?

/Lelle

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
because some of teh defensive T are from region where there's more danger and need bigger venom, like some species of africa by exemple
I can tell you soem species that are agressive or more defensive / nervous
P murinus, H maculata,most poecilotheria, T blondi is a little bit stronger then the magority...

why did I have to explain that you dont know which species hae a more potent venom ?

Last edited:

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
because some of teh defensive T are from region where there's more danger and need bigger venom, like some species of africa by exemple
There is more danger in Africa? How exactly?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well I've read somewhere cant remember where i'll try to find they said that species that are from region where prey or danger were more present the venom were generally more potent, it would make a lot of sens, and I dont know enough africa to answer your question lol but i've read that somewhere

rbpeake1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Handling

I believe the liklihood of handling also depends on the personality of your individual T. Some may not like to be handled at all, and I believe you have to respect that. We have 2 cats, and one loves to be handled and the other does not. So we do not pick up the one that does not like it, and she does fine. The same is true for T's. :)

It may sound strange to respect your spiders' feelings, but that seems to be the case from my experience!

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've handled some aggressive species to administer medical treatment or during transfers, mating, etc. I try to use hands-off methods whenever possible, but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way and you end up with one running up your arm or something.

And do we really need to start the handling debate again this week? :rolleyes:

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
rbpeake1 said:
I believe the liklihood of handling also depends on the personality of your individual T. Some may not like to be handled at all, and I believe you have to respect that. We have 2 cats, and one loves to be handled and the other does not. So we do not pick up the one that does not like it, and she does fine. The same is true for T's. :)

It may sound strange to respect your spiders' feelings, but that seems to be the case from my experience!
you might think this tread interesting there was a big debate about it

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40400
I agree with you respecting the animal, you're not strange

rbpeake1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
you might think this tread interesting there was a big debate about it

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40400
I agree with you respecting the animal, you're not strange
Thanks for the link! I guess that individual humans are as different as individual spiders, which of course makes total sense! Yay for diversity! ;)

And spiders seem incredibly flexible in general, and so are able to put up with a wide variety of human behaviors and do just fine! ;)

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
but all this to say that some of the defensive T got a more potent venom, that was'nt to start a debate at all I was just answering the question , not only that theeres more risk because they're defensive but also because the venom is SOMETIME a little bit more potent :) im not only a debate man heeheh
no I did'nt handled a defensive T :) I did'nt handled any of my T

Fred

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've held both my blondi numerous times, they never kick hairs which is unusual for blondi, and I've held my really defensive lasiodorides striatus(she use to be nice until she molted) and I only had to hold her because she was trying to get out when I was refilling her water.

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive picked up most of the tarantulas I currently keep. Some of the more 'defensive' would be the 2 cobalt blues, and the horned baboon (marshalli). If done calmly and slowly, most tarantulas will be picked up without striking. The only of my collection which I will not handle is the skeleton, the usamabara oranges, the psalmopoeus(es) and the poecilotherias.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
And why would that be?

/Lelle
I haven't thought through this too much, but what about the fact that OW species (most of the defensive species are OW...) don't have the extra defense mechanism of urticating hairs, so they "make up" for it with a more potent venom?

I don't know, just a thought...

evil_educator

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah i noticed my H. minax does not kick hair and have no bald patches. So instead of kicking hair, they bite eh?