Tarantula Venom

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes.

Here is where you will place all information, misinformation, mythis, musings, late night wonderings, and even... FACTS... about tarantula venom, its effects, potentcy, risk to humans, and prey, and even possible medical effects.

There is very little known, and speculation is expansive, even from within the tightly knit tarantula hobbyists, and our resident experts.

Please bear in mind that to keep this as informative as possible we would ask that you reference material from which you are drawing conclusions about data.

If it is mere speculation - great - but be upfront. This of course is what fuels further thought, but if we can seperate conclusions from hypothesis, the hobby will be better served.

Enjoy!

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Someone in the past month or so posted a great link to a study that compared the strength of the venom for several species of T's. I have tried searching but haven't found the thread. Does anyone else remember that thread? Who posted it? That was a great study that would answer many of these questions.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
if someone is alergic of bee sting and all these, is it possible for him to die from a T bite, I mean the bee can kill someone *I think* if the person if alergic ... is there any dead reported about a T bite ??? ( if the person is allergic ... for sure ... ;) )

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
if someone is alergic of bee sting and all these, is it possible for him to die from a T bite, I mean the bee can kill someone *I think* if the person if alergic ... is there any dead reported about a T bite ???
From what I read, bee venom and T venom are very different and it is not possible to have an allergic reaction to T venom.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
From what I read, bee venom and T venom are very different and it is not possible to have an allergic reaction to T venom.
ok this is intersting, theres no need to be worry ... like some ppl do ;P

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is just speculation but I think if you get bitten by a Poecilotheria metalica and then inject yourself with heroin you feel pretty good. :) :)

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
imo, as a venoumous animal keeper(venomous in terms of animals which produce venom that can damage human tissue), just need to reduce the risks of getting bitten, and that's the only one solution

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Windchaser said:
I don't mean to quote you wrong, but I am a paramedic and a FF. Well I went to a call one day to a house that person had been bit by a Pokie. He said he was allergic to bees. Well what had happened is he couldn't fell his arm, puffed up like a balloon, went in Tachycardia about 120 or so BPM (for those that don't know,tachycardia is a where the heart beats fasater than 100 beats per min.), started vomiting, and eventually his throat started to swell shut. I gave him "Epi" which seemed to help, but didn't make the simptoms sub side. He ended up spending 2 days in the hospital. This may been a freak accident, but I believe that it could kill ya if your allergic to bees:eek:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rob1985 said:
Well what had happened is he couldn't fell his arm, puffed up like a balloon, went in Tachycardia about 120 or so BPM (for those that don't know,tachycardia is a where the heart beats fasater than 100 beats per min.), started vomiting, and eventually his throat started to swell shut. I gave him "Epi" which seemed to help, but didn't make the simptoms sub side. He ended up spending 2 days in the hospital. This may been a freak accident, but I believe that it could kill ya if your allergic to bees:eek:
Hi,
This could probably happen with any Poecilotheria spp. bite. Interesting that the person was also allergic to bees, however there is most likely no connection regardless. I can go into more detail (and provide some references), but will do tomorrow, it's been a busy day :)

Cheers,
Steve

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Yeah I figured that as much. I thought is was cause he is allergic to bees. :?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Hi,
This could probably happen with any Poecilotheria spp. bite.

Cheers,
Steve
Why do you say this, Steve? This is along the lines of what Lelle and I were discussing on another thread. Are you saying that the bites of any Poecilotheria spp. would be more medically significant than the bite of another species?

MilkmanWes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
It is possible to be allergic to anything. Certain things in our world seem to be more common for allergy like cats, penuts, bees, wheat but you can be allergic to anything. An alergy to one does not necessarily make you more prone to an allergy with the other AFAIK.

An allergy is a secondary reaction that follows an improper primary reaction. The primary reaction is when your body identifies a foreign body as friend or foe and created a histamine to fight it. The next time your body encounters the same substance your immune system begins producing these histamines in an effort to defend itself. Thus histamine blockers being used to help with allergies.

And allergies have been known to clear up or set in at any time during life. When I was young a family we knew owned a chicken farm. One day her father got sick and after a few weeks they determined he had developed a severe feather allergy. Of all the irony.

squattyanne83

Arachnopeon
Everyones body is different so there will naturally always be different reactions to bites. I have allergies and recieve injections for them once a month and when I was first tested they stuck me with over 70 needles of different possible allergens and deduced what i was allergic to by the size of the swelling. I am sure that an allergist can test with whatever T's venom you want, it just may cost a bit.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Does anyone recall that thread, that I mentioned last night in an eariler post to this thread, with the study comparing the potency of T venom? The experiment was done using mice and it compared the effect of the venom on the mouse. It was an interesting study. I still haven't found it with the search yet. If anyone remembers it, it would be a great addition to this thread.

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
Does anyone recall that thread, that I mentioned last night in an eariler post to this thread, with the study comparing the potency of T venom? The experiment was done using mice and it compared the effect of the venom on the mouse. It was an interesting study. I still haven't found it with the search yet. If anyone remembers it, it would be a great addition to this thread.
Is it just an LD50 chart? If so, I think I saw one of them posted in the "Other Arachnids" forum. Maybe Cortalus has one as well.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Fenris said:
Is it just an LD50 chart? If so, I think I saw one of them posted in the "Other Arachnids" forum. Maybe Cortalus has one as well.
I believe that was what it was. I looked through the "Other Arachnids" forum as well, especially the thread about which spider is the most deadly, but I still find the post. But I think you are right, I will have to loook again and spend more time on it.

Thanks.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
I believe that was what it was. I looked through the "Other Arachnids" forum as well, especially the thread about which spider is the most deadly, but I still find the post. But I think you are right, I will have to loook again and spend more time on it.

Thanks.

Look up.

But it was posted in the T forums, for sure.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont understand a thing from the table, it look very usefull but ... I just dont understand

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Those are the ones Sheri. Thanks. BTW, are posts crossed. My browser hadn't updated, so I didn't see yours until after I submitted my post.

Thanks again.