Top 5 - 10 Docile and aggressive T's

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Top 5 - 10 Docile and Defensive T's

Hi, I've just been searching the boards for something similar to this but can't find anything as specific sooooo, in your opinions and from experience what do you think are the top 5 docile and top 5 defensive T's? (add more than 5 if you want). As I only have experience with docile T's here is my view:

1. G.Aureostriata
2. B.albopilosum
3. G.rosea
4. A.hentz
5. B.smithi
6. B.emilia
7. A.avic
8. E.campesratus

Not that I have any experience with these defensive T's here is my impression from what I have read on the boards:

1. OBT
2. H.minax
3. H.lividum
3. C. Crawshayi
4. P.cancerides
5. T.blondi

Looking forward to feedbacks :D

EDIT: Changed all 'aggressives' in this post to'defensive'.

Last edited:

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Docile:
1.G.pulchra
2.G.aureostriata
3.B.emilia
4.Avic.Avic
5. G.chalcothrix

Defensive:
1.OBT
2.A.chacoana
3.P.ornata
4.H.lividium
5.H.maculata

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just because they don't bear their fangs and attempt to bite doesn't mean they aren't being defensive. Look at how much of a hair kicker a B. smithi is. Is this not a defensive action? Or are we just talking biters here?

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Nasty and nice...

Any tarantula can display defensive behaviour if it feels threatened.
But in my experience I have observed the following general assumptions.
Docile:
1) PZB
2) Curly hair
3) Most avics
4) Brachypelma smithi
5) Grammastola aureostriata
Wicked when disturbed:
1) T. APOPHYSIS!
2) Lasiodora difficillus
3) Lasiodora parahybana
4) Pamphobeteus antinous
5) Xenesthis Immanis
;P Greg :D

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
evil_educator said:
Er they are not aggressive. They are just defensive.
What you're basically saying is that no T shows aggression to any creature in any way shape or form? What makes you think I'm talking about with regards to humans? I have read the phrase 'aggressive eater' many times on this forum and I don't see your name pop up saying 'They are not aggressive eaters, they are defensive eaters'...Err OK. Please think before you try to patronise me. Thankyou.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm very glad to see the use of the term defensive over aggresive. Please keep it up.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
H-D said:
I have read the phrase 'aggressive eater' many times on this forum and I don't see your name pop up saying 'They are not aggressive eaters, they are defensive eaters'...Err OK. Please think before you try to patronise me. Thankyou.
The context of "blah, blah, blah...is an aggressive eater", is fine. It's just another way of saying a voracious, big, or hearty eater.

"aggressive" adj 1: having or showing determination and energetic pursuit of
your ends;

Using "aggressive" to describe a T's behavior, while not illegal...is in no way good for the hobby. But that is my opinion. You're going to do what you like irregardless. But by simple definition of the word "aggressive"...tarantulas are not aggressive creatures. A
t worst they are "aggressively defensive". <- to quote Venom (http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=40555), and I think it's just about the right description.

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My estimations:

5 of the least defensive:

E.campestratus
G.pulchra
A.versicolor
A.metallica
A.bicoloratum

5 of the most aggressively defensive:

P.murinus
C.crawshayi
C. schieodtei
H.schmidti
H."minax"

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Deschain said:
Using "aggressive" to describe a T's behavior, while not illegal...is in no way good for the hobby. But that is my opinion. You're going to do what you like irregardless. But by simple definition of the word "aggressive"...tarantulas are not aggressive creatures. A
t worst they are "aggressively defensive".
Don't get me wrong, I will use the term 'defensive' over 'aggressive' from now on. I just didn't appreciate the way in which "evil_educator" decided to be condescending towards me. If he had let me know in a friendly informative manner then I would have had no problem in acknowledging that I had used the wrong terminology. I only got into this hobby in October and I am still learning so if I do happen to get something wrong cut me some slack. I'm not some ignorant savage that needs to be spoken down to in order to understand that I have made a mistake (not referring to you Deschain).

Last edited:

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In my experience and in my opinon the most docile Ts for handling are:

1. G. rosea
2. G. pulchra
3. A. avicularia
4. A. versicolor
5. B. smithi

I've heard about rosies that were psycho, but mine are as calm as could be. In my opinion the bite risk of these five are extremely low. The poop risk is a different story. My smithi doesn't hair flick, but the species is known for that behavior.

If you're looking to get bit try holding the cobalt blue or OBT.

H-D said:
Hi, I've just been searching the boards for something similar to this but can't find anything as specific sooooo, in your opinions and from experience what do you think are the top 5 docile and top 5 aggressive T's? (add more than 5 if you want). As I only have experience with docile T's here is my view:

1. G.Aureostriata
2. B.albopilosum
3. G.rosea
4. A.hentz
5. B.smithi
6. B.emilia
7. A.avic
8. E.campesratus

Not that I have any experience with these aggressive T's here is my impression from what I have read on the boards:

1. OBT
2. H.minax
3. H.lividum
3. C. Crawshayi
4. P.cancerides
5. T.blondi

Looking forward to feedbacks :D

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H-D said:
Don't get me wrong, I will use the term 'defensive' over 'aggressive' from now on. I just didn't appreciate the way in which "evil_educator" decided to be condescending towards me. If he had let me know in a friendly informative manner then I would have had no problem in acknowledging that I had used the wrong terminology.
The best defense is a good offense. Some Ts are aggressive in their defense. I think its retarded to argue terminology when everyone is clear the intent is which ones will bite the hell out of you if given the chance. I personally have no problem with loose terminology on the message boards along with loose spelling and loose grammar and loose punctuation and loose people.

When a cobalt blue bites you on the tip of your finger, ask her if it was a defensive bite or an aggressive bite. If she says defensive I'll eat my words. Until then, let it go.

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:
The best defense is a good offense. Some Ts are aggressive in their defense. I think its retarded to argue terminology when everyone is clear the intent is which ones will bite the hell out of you if given the chance. I personally have no problem with loose terminology on the message boards along with loose spelling and loose grammar and loose punctuation and loose people.

When a cobalt blue bites you on the tip of your finger, ask her if it was a defensive bite or an aggressive bite. If she says defensive I'll eat my words. Until then, let it go.
Couldn't agree more. I'm under the impression that I need to feel like I'm walking on eggshells with every sentence I type. Not very pleasant or welcoming. Like you said, my intent was clear and it isn't like I was trying to damn T's in any way. This was just meant to be a frendly non-confrontational thread.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've only owned one Docile T so My Docile list is short

1) Rose Hair

Defensive

1) E.Murinus
2) H.Lividum
3) P.Murinus
4) H.Longpidum
5) P.Irminia/P.Cambridgei

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H-D said:
Couldn't agree more. I'm under the impression that I need to feel like I'm walking on eggshells with every sentence I type. Not very pleasant or welcoming. Like you said, my intent was clear and it isn't like I was trying to damn T's in any way. This was just meant to be a frendly non-confrontational thread.
Some people just go looking for a fight, its their brand of entertainment. I'm waiting for someone to tell me Ts really don't have hair, they flick their setae. My response will be ignore mode. It can't be confrontational if they are talking to themselves. You have total control to ignore what isn't important. Enjoy the boards.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gusto,
Is ur P. Irminia aggressive? Mine isnt. Is it age? Mine is still young. 2.25

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:

It's not an argument...it's a simple case of portraying the hobby in the best light possible...and aggressive not only gives the more laymen people the wrong idea, it is just plain false.

No T wants to "bite the hell" out of us. They are defending themselves from a percieved threat. While most O.W. species do this with more "gusto", than N.W. Ts, they are still defending themselves. Period.

Now if you can find me a T that wants to bite me for any reason other than invading it's space (cleaning, moving, maintainence), I'll eat the damn T.

I also think that the word "retarded" is horrible. There are far too many words in the English language that can convey your meaning.
And if you were to describe someone with a mental disability in my presence as a "retard", I'd slap the taste out of your mouth.

And I don't really care if I get reprimanded for making that statement.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
Gusto,
Is ur P. Irminia aggressive? Mine isnt. Is it age? Mine is still young. 2.25

Mine is about about 5" and not as bad as a P.Murinus or Cobalt bit she will give me a threat display If I mess around in her cage.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
H-D said:
Don't get me wrong, I will use the term 'defensive' over 'aggressive' from now on. I just didn't appreciate the way in which "evil_educator" decided to be condescending towards me. If he had let me know in a friendly informative manner then I would have had no problem in acknowledging that I had used the wrong terminology. I only got into this hobby in October and I am still learning so if I do happen to get something wrong cut me some slack. I'm not some ignorant savage that needs to be spoken down to in order to understand that I have made a mistake (not referring to you Deschain).
I'm glad that you understand why I try to get people to use defensive over aggressive...and that I didn't come across as being as ass about it.

You don't have to walk on eggshells with your posts. You have an opinion and are welcome to voice it, but to be honest, you're going to get disagreements/arguments with some of your views. Everyone does, me included, so please don't feel singled out. That is not the case.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
if someone is scared to get in to the T hobby because there are "aggressive" T's...tough luck for them, there ARE docile species that are just as entertaining and/or colorful.

and I do think it's important to distinguish between "defensive" and "aggressive" as they are two completely different terms. However, I don't think it's important enough to warrant multiple threads of multiple pages rehashing the same stuf over and over and over. A reaction a T has to prey can be aggressive, but a reaction to someone reaching in to the tank can be defensive...even if both result in a nasty bite (to the prey...death). It's reacting the same way for two DIFFERENT reasons...