Can anyone identify my scorpion?

loving_allsorts

Arachnopeon
Hi there, I have some scorpions I bought from somebody who said they were red 'sided' scropions. I stupidly assumed he meant red clawed. As they have got bigger they have changed shape and colour and now, quite worryingly, I am baffled as to what they are. If anybody has any clue as to what they are please either reply to this thread or better still email me on mark @ ukhq . demon . uk
I hope somebody can help ma
Kind regards
Mark Bartlam

Attachments

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi there,
looks like a Heterometrus species, not sure which, do you know where this was collected?

they come from Asia, first guess is Heterometrus laoticus from indochina

theyre very common nowadays

loving_allsorts

Arachnopeon
??

I really have no idea where it was collected, I'm in the uk and the guy who sold it me owns a shop in london. I thought maybe a heterometrus sp from a similar photo I saw but apart from that no idea. Take a look at this photo of when they were younger and see what you think

Attachments

fusion121

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just replyed on the other forum you posted on:

I'm pretty sure that’s a heterometrus species, your not going to get anything more then a superficial ID from that picture. However going on the vesical/aculeus length and the apparent granulation and using the Kovarik review, I'd say its a H. laoticus or H spinifer. That said for a good ID you'll need close up photos of the pedipalps, carapace and chela, since heterometrus species are tough to separate at the best of times.

That said george has used that Kovarik review more then me so he should know better

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hi,
thats it then, you can call it Heterometrus laoticus
(Vietnamese/Laotian) Forest scorpion

if you need some males and want to get rid of some females, then pm me :)
i seem to have sold ALL my females and now i have 7 beautiful males :D

theyre a really nice species, and as you have found out in the last pic they dont stop burrowing do they!

loving_allsorts

Arachnopeon
Lets see

Hi there, I'm gonna see how they are getting on first. they must be about fully grown now, if they do not breed this year then I must have all the same sex and I will be interesting in swapping one of mine for a male.
Thanks for the offer. I may be in contact, what area of the uk u from?
Mark