What species glow?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I know that under black lights some spider species glow. My friend was stupid and impulsive and he got a H. Minax (Thailand Black) for his girlfriend for her birthday becuase he wanted a glowing spider. Now they call it the "psycho" and it is a bit of a mess. I wonder if G. Pulchras (Brazilian Black) does glow, at least, it would be a better spider for her. Speaking of this, i am trying to convinve them to get rid of the minax and give it to someone who knows how to take care of and love him/her. Anyone possibly willing?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I am not aware of any T species that glow under a black light. Scorpions do glow, but I haven't heard of any T's that glow.

Now, for the soap box speech. Please do a little research before taking on the responsibilty of caring for a living creature. From what you have said, you and your friends appear to know little about how to care for tarantulas. You should know what you are getting into before buying one.

druid8783

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with windchaser. You should give your friend the animal/resposibility speech. I think it's ridiculous that they would buy a spider because it supposidly reacted to a black light. Tell them to get some posters or something. Atleast they can't kill those.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
While I don't agree with the idea of someone buying a pet just because it glows, I would imagine that any of the species that have a lot of white on them would fluoresce at least a little under blacklight.

Maybe your friends can get a refund on the H. minax and buy something more suitable.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do know enought to keep my rose-hair. She is doing fine. Thats why im so MAD. He KNEW i knew at least SOMETHING about tarantulas. Every day in art i like yell at him for being so dumb. When i got my rose hair i bought a 20 gallon terrarium, got lighting, humidity and temp and substrate about a month before i got her. I had time to learn about what they needed. I am not impulsive when it comes to animals because i know it can easily cost them their lives.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Whats really ridiculous is that when he was at the pet store the tarantula hander put on huge gloves and when he toughed the minax it turned around and crawled up his arm and the guy freaked out. i mean, get a CLUE. Hehe, he told me that there was a "nice looking big orange baboon something" that he was going to buy, but it was too expensive.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Snipes said:
Whats really ridiculous is that when he was at the pet store the tarantula hander put on huge gloves and when he toughed the minax it turned around and crawled up his arm and the guy freaked out. i mean, get a CLUE. Hehe, he told me that there was a "nice looking big orange baboon something" that he was going to buy, but it was too expensive.
Please, do some research and know EXACTLY what tarantula you are getting before you, or your friend, buy another one. An H. mimax is hardly a species to get as your first T. Also, the "big orange baboon something" is most likely an old world T (possibly a C. crawshayi) and again, not recommended as a beginner's T.

Do a search here on the site for what species are good for starting out. There are a ton of threads that will provide that information.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
got lighting

spider'S dont benefit from lightning, and theres nothing to add but I sooooooooo totally agree you must know what you buy and get as much information as possible before purchasing the little guy, its just the minimum

your friend is the dumbess guy I ever saw

Last edited:

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What i am trying to say is that i know about tarantulas and he didnt breathe a word to me about it until after he got it. I understand that a minax is an advanced species and so is the "nice looking big orange baboon something" is actually a usambara. I really appreciate u being so concerned for the tarantula windchaser. kirdec, i read before i got my G. rosea that they sometimes burrow and if there is a heating pad they could get burned, so i got a low wattage bulb in order to keep up the heat. How do you recommend i heat the tank, what has worked for you?

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my heat is on the back wall of the tank, if you're temp room is enough good you dont even need a heat

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Unless your room is unusually cool, room temperature will be fine for a G. rosea. Daytime temps in the 70's will be just fine. Even if it dips into the 60's at night, that will be no problem.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mm, the room temp is about high 50-low 60s since we dont have a furnace. When the light is not on (i turn it off during the night to get a day/night cycle) it drops to about that. With the light on it is about 75

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would suggest you to put the heat on the back wall, soo the T can decide if she wanna go in a place where its hot or cooler ... I always give my T's the decision of what they want and what they prefer, about the substrate , moist or drier, and the temp, I even give her the choice of the substrate ...

well about your temp problem you can put the heat on the back wall

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
good advise. Thanks a lot i will get right on it :)

CreepyCrawly

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow, that is craziness. But I guess a lot of that happens in the exotics business in general. Although that never makes it right. I have to admit I thought that after my fourth T I was jumping into it too fast when I got my H. lividum T. Although it is a spiderling, and as it grows I feel I can let my guard grow with it.

As for your G. rosea, wow. It must be a very spoiled T! I started mine of in a 10 gal, and eventually moved it to a 5 1/2 gal where it seems more comfortable. I think she feels safer in a more closed-in space, more like the whole cage is her territory, and she can easily "patrol" it and keep her perimeter secured. In the 10 gal she was much more skittish and nervous. I also used to try to heat her cage with a heating pad, and had lights over her cage - purly cosmetic. She hated the lighting, and always hid when they were on, which caused me to start leaving them off so she could come out of her burrow more often. The heating pad really didn't do much - since it was so small, and because my temps are usually right around 80* she hasn't had any problems whatsoever, and in fact has begun eating more regularly, and molting more regularly. So in a smaller, unlit, unheated cage the T seems to be "happier". But that's just my G. rosea.

I wasn't even aware that any Ts glowed under black light. I knew scorpians did, but I didn't think any did. I also would think that any spiders with white striping on the legs would glow - as white does - under a blacklight.

arachnojunkie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
20 Gallon!!!!

Not to offend, but why on earth would you put a spider that is 4" to 5" MAX in a cage that is 30" long? Even a 10 Gallon is waaayyyyy over doing it. And lighting? :wall: I imagine you have a very stressed tarantula on your hands, again not trying to offend but educate. Please change your setup. For the spider atleast.....I bought my friend a 4" G Rosea and a medium Kritter Keeper for Christmas as he has been admiring my collection for like ever. Told him everything you would/should ever know about keeping the spider happy and healthy, what does he do about 3 days later? Goes to the pet store and lets an uneducated high school graduate convince him into buying a 10 gallon terrarium "setup" with bark a fancy water dish.....the whole nine yards for..........$70.00 :eek: I could have punched him in the mouth. Again, just trying to help. :) As for the Haplopelma sp. ANOTHER reason Ts shouldn't be sold in pet shops.

Last edited:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I just have a space heater on 9on the table my terraium is on. the tank stays ebetween 70 and 80 degress the whole time. Not to mention since the heat stays up so does the mumidity. Two birds with one stone {DI have mine ina 10 gallon terrarium I sloped the subsrate toward her burrow. She seems nervoius all time only when light come on and when I accidentaly bump thr table she is on. OTherwise she eats like a pig and stays in her burrow most of the time. I am thinking about getting a 5 gallon terrarium to pout her in next time.

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
arachnojunkie said:
Not to offend, but why on earth would you put a spider that is 4" to 5" MAX
Not that it has anything to do with cage size really, but G. rosea reaches up to 6". My female is currently 5 1/2". Just depends on the individual spider.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You should tell your friends to get a Scorpion, either a Emperor or a Desert Hairy if they want something that glows. But tell them to invest in a Book or browse the Scorpion forum on this site for awhile and If they feel they can meet the needs of the pet then get one. It's best to have the enclosure setup before you get the animal. On second thought tell your friend to look into Just the Desert Hairy ( H. Spandix) I think it would have a better chance of surviving in you r friends care than an emperor :eek: Or better yet to them to get a Chia-Pet.