Which Arboreal?

Zelda

Arachnopeon
Hi,

I will be receiving a large tall glass tank very soon and i'm interested in putting an arboreal tarantula in there..
What would be the best choice for a first arboreal species? I never owned one before and dont know the ins and outs of them yet, so any suggestions off you guys and gals would be much appreciated :)

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Avic. Avic is a good choice for a 1st aboreal or maybe a A.versicolor or A.metallica :D

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would go with an Avicularia species. The only differences in care that I can think of between the species (other than size) is that it's best to give versicolor a lot of ventilation.

My first Arboreal T was Avic huriana. Any other arboreal genus that you can think of will be even faster than Avic.

Fenris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, an Avicularia sp. would be a GREAT first aboreal. What kind of temperment are you looking for? Considering it'll be your first you'll probably want one that wont be too much of a handful, right?

Zelda

Arachnopeon
Hi and thanks for the great suggestions!
I am definetly looking for one that is not a handful..
Just been having a look at the avics actually and the avic sp looks very nice ;)
I dont want to start off with anything that is too advanced, so you think that the avics are the way to go?
I had fleeting thoughts on pokies... oh dear :embarrassed: No way !! :)

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Unless you can afford some of the more $$$ Avics, I would say get a P.Irminia or a P.Cambridgei. The P.Irminia was my First Arboreal and although fast I have never had a problem.

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
just another thought if the glass tank is "large" you might want to think about buying an adult arboreal T. but yes i would have to agree avic's are a great way to go. all of them are incredible IMO.

rbpeake1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Zelda said:
Hi and thanks for the great suggestions!
I am definetly looking for one that is not a handful..
Just been having a look at the avics actually and the avic sp looks very nice ;)
I dont want to start off with anything that is too advanced, so you think that the avics are the way to go?
I had fleeting thoughts on pokies... oh dear :embarrassed: No way !! :)
I love my juvenile A. versicolor (she is all blue with some black), but she stays in her high web home almost all of the time, so I see her legs and that is about it. I am hoping as she gets larger, I will see more of her! ;)

Pokies are not bad, just do not handle them and respect their space. I can fiddle around in their cage as much as I like, and they hang out in their web shelters and just watch. :)

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Definitely A. avicularia. They are inexpensive, hardy, docile, beautiful and a good aboreal to learn on. The A. versicolor though beautiful is a little harder to maintain. I still love the A. avics even though they are so common.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Zelda said:
I had a look at the suntiger and this site says its a no no for beginners..
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/the.tarantula.store/care-P.irminia.htm

I think they are a beautiful tarantula though.

I guess everyone has different opinions on what they consider Aggressive. Are you looking for something you can handle? then yes I wouldn't get a SunTiger. To me A. Avics are to common everyBody and their momma has them. I you have to get an Avic I would get A.Versicolor or A. Metallica.

Zelda

Arachnopeon
Hi Gusto,

I'm not looking for anything to handle really. I dont usually handle them much anyway.. Too scared I'll drop them ;)
Its a nightmare trying to decide which I should get to be honest.. The avics look cool, but that suntiger you suggested looks very nice indeed :)

BTW your avatar is just too freaky!

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Michael Jackson says to get the SunTiger ( P.Irminia)

Avics suck!!

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Which aboreal...

I commend you for deciding to get your first aboreal. May I suggest Avicularia avicularia for your first tree tarantula. These are hardy, docile and would grace your tank nicely. Once you procure your first avic I would be surprised if you don't get "into" these and get other ones.
There are several avics to choose from with some being more expensive than the Avic avic, but I find them all to be exquisite and beautiful.
Eye candy avics like Avicularia minatrix, versicolor, huriana, braunshaseni, urticans, metallica, bicegoi, geroldi and purpurea are some of the most beautiful aboreals on our planet.
Just make sure your new tank has a secure fitting lid and ventilation holes for your T to be comfortable.
Greg :)

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
If you want a T that makes web right around the top of the cage for good viewing, go with avics. if you want one that makes webbing from the ground up, go with P. irminia or cambridgei.

The Juice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Joe1968 said:
If you want a T that makes web right around the top of the cage for good viewing, go with avics. if you want one that makes webbing from the ground up, go with P. irminia or cambridgei.

P.Irminia never webbed

P.Cambridgei webbed middle of the enclosure but always out

It's the way you set them up. Like I said before everyone has a A.Avic, and the Avics that are worth getting are over priced. I know where to get a 1.5-2" A.Versicolor for $16.50..... and yes it is a A.Versicolor I seen it. If you are ever in area Check out Kansas's best kept secret Dr. Ralph Charlton best prices you will find.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A. versicolor. Absolute beauty and grace. Its not as elegent when they shoot u with poop though. {D
A P. irminia is equally beautiful but it hides way too much. :( The beauty is wasted when u cant see them.
I plan to get a A. huriana at some point. I have read that they are docile. Also I love the fuzzy look. :D

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Joe1968 said:
Good view of what, webbing?

As far as I can tell, Avics grow slower than trees, poop more than lactose-intolerant dogs a..alot, even at you, if you try to handle them, they weave a web thicker than spun sugar, and never ever stay out. I am generalizing to death, but I haven't personally seen that trend broken.

Last edited:

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
if you can find one, i suuggest an avicularia huriana, ecuadorian wooly, check out my avatar. mine just molted and they are beautiful. lots of colors and they get pretty big and are docile. i got mine at lee watsons swap from The Theraphosid Breeding Project.

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Vys said:
Good view of what, webbing?

As far as I can tell, Avics grow slower than trees, poop more than lactose-intolerant dogs a..alot, even at you, if you try to handle them, they weave a web thicker than spun sugar, and never ever stay out. I am generalizing to death, but I haven't personally seen that trend broken.
yes, view of the webbing, LOL. well I only have 2 avics, the versicolor all you can see is lots and lots of web (tube web), but my Avic avic pretty much makes a hamock web and has a better viewing.