How long should I wait before...

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How long do you think I should wait before moving from the easy to care for, non-defensive species of T, to the hard-core, really defensive species? I don't have a particular species in mind, this is just an overall question. Any ideas? How long did you wait?

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Just depends on if your weak-hearted j/k :} . Ummmmmmm.......Annabelle is my first who can become extremely defensive and aggressive when bothered. So I went straight in for the kill on an aggressive one {D . If you do I woulds say an H.Lividium would be a good start.I am getting one soon!!! :cool:

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It really depends on how comfortable you are with T's. If dealing with a docile species such as a G. rosea still makes your nervous, I would hold off getting a more defensive species. If you feel you have things under control, and have read enough regarding how to deal with more definsive and faster species, then go for it. There is no set answer to this question.

MysticKigh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL< so you have that option? One of my G rosea's is pissed off about not being born into an OBT body. Seriously though, it really is all about your comfort zone. You need to be comfortable enough that should you have a situation (ie: bad moult) that may require intervention, that you'll be able to pull it off.... errr, no pun intended

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How long...

Before you jump from a rosie to a T. apophysis you may want to consider getting a Lasiodora. Parahybana or a difficillus will give you an idea of what these more "high strung" T's are like.
Only when you feel ready, don't rush into it. It took me a few years to get into the bigger beasts, but that's just me.
Knowledge and attitude will help you progress, but don't rush it. ;P :)

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lets go over the check list shall we?

1. do you know how to care for the species you're interested in?
2. do you know the effects of its bite?
3. can you provide the proper set up and all of the requirements?
4. are you prepared to dodge a very pissed off t that runs up your arm?
5. are you comfortable transferring something like this into a new enclosure?

if you said no to any of these, Id advise against it.

KJE

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Mandi - great checklist!

I would like to recommend that when you take the plunge into faster, fiestier t's that you get a sling instead of an adult. That way you will have some time to learn its behavior before its really big. You also need to know how to not freak out if/when it runs from you or onto you. Plus, you need to be willing to put up with any effects its venom will have on you if you do get bit.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As soon as u get a enclosure with a tight fitting lid and some LOOOOG hemostats!! ;)
Seriously, when u feel urself ready. Such as having good reflexes but not flinching every time it jumps out!!
There are some pretty funny threads on the behavior of OBTs on these boards. Ck them out.

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol could you imagine an obt, poeci or an h. mac getting out.. and you waking up next it?

*shudders*

Heartfang

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Oooh, that would be scary. From the responses you all have given me, I have deducted that I am too inexperienced to try to take care of an OBT, or any other really defensive type of T. I must hone my skills before advancing to the "next class". Thanks once again, arachnoenthusiasts!!!

greenbay1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I waited a year and then started out with slings. Just chicken I guessl :eek:
It helped watching them change into thier demonic form :evil: LOL. It was easier to learn how to cope with them. Avics are great to learn about speed. Your chances of getting tagged are slim but you get the adrenelin rush. I personally don't recommend just jumping into something like an OBT without some experience. I know that some will say it is OK but if by chance you have to recapture it from an escape it can be a hair raising experience as can a pokie shooting up the tongs and onto your shoulder before the top eyelid hits the lower one. :eek: Sure love those pokies though!

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think people should start out with the more obnoxious tarantulas, this way the respect is there from the get go. The 2nd tarantula I ever sought was an usambara, the third was a suntiger, the fourth was an indian ornamental. I 'worked down' to the calmer, more docile species, and am glad I did.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
RazorRipley said:
I think people should start out with the more obnoxious tarantulas, this way the respect is there from the get go. The 2nd tarantula I ever sought was an usambara, the third was a suntiger, the fourth was an indian ornamental. I 'worked down' to the calmer, more docile species, and am glad I did.
u need to add this thought to the beginners Sticky!! It makes sense, but at the same time it can get new ppl scared of ts and they will grow that fungus of a thought process that all ts are bad.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
u need to add this thought to the beginners Sticky!! It makes sense, but at the same time it can get new ppl scared of ts and they will grow that fungus of a thought process that all ts are bad.
Not to mention the likelihood of a mishap is much greater.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
greenbay1 said:
I waited a year and then started out with slings. Just chicken I guessl :eek:
It helped watching them change into thier demonic form :evil: LOL. It was easier to learn how to cope with them. Avics are great to learn about speed. Your chances of getting tagged are slim but you get the adrenelin rush. I personally don't recommend just jumping into something like an OBT without some experience. I know that some will say it is OK but if by chance you have to recapture it from an escape it can be a hair raising experience as can a pokie shooting up the tongs and onto your shoulder before the top eyelid hits the lower one. :eek: Sure love those pokies though!

I agree with this... it's not really the agressiveness, it's just that some are so friggin' fast. They can escape or be on your arm and you in a split second, even with hemostats, tongs and forceps :eek: