Scorpions in oregon? Anyone?

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I was talking with my roommate yesterday about scorpions and he was telling me that he has seen scorpions in eastern oregon before. I was doubting him a little bit because the weather gets so cold durring the winter but when I thought about it i realized he may be right. The summers are very hot while the winters are very cold. The scorps could just hibernate could they not?

I was just curious if anyone out there has seen or caught scorps in oregon anywhere? If so would you be interested in possibly meating some time this summer when the weather is nice to do some hunting?
Thanks guys and gals.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ummm, I don't know of any in Oregon but there are 3 spp. in eastern Washington. :)

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cool stuff spider-man. Are they easy to find? I want to plan a trip somewhere to catch some scorps some time this summer and am trying to get info on where I want to go. You know of a good place to go and hunt these? Maybe a town or park area that I can look into?

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ummm, well I can't remember off the top of my head which 3 species inhabit there, but I can ask my friend who knows. I don't know as much about scorps as I do Ts. Also, there are some species of rattlesnake in eastern Washington as well, you would be trotting around in thier territory to find the scorps. After looking at those bites photos in the other threads, you might want to reconsider unless you are totally prepared. Unforunately, summertime would be the best time to look for them.

There could be some scorps in Oregon, I dunno. Maybe Immortal_sin or Galeogirl know? They live in Oregon too.

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've heard that you can find U. mordax in eastern Oregon. Kugellager told me of another species, but I can't remember which one right off the top of my head.

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well galeogirl thanks for the info. I cant seem to find anywhere that has a list of where certain species are located. maybe I am missing something. I want to know if these oregon scorps are easy to find or if it would be more of a haslle than it is worht for me to try. I may plan a camping trip to an area that has them around and spend a weekend looking. Might become a new goal of mine. To find the elusive oregon scorpions.

Also maybe their are scorps in southern oregon towards medford. The temperature down there is alot warmer. Would be nice to find something around Corvallis but it is to wet around here.

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
galeogirl said:
I've heard that you can find U. mordax in eastern Oregon. Kugellager told me of another species, but I can't remember which one right off the top of my head.
Cant find a single photo of U. mordax. You sure thats the proper name?

Just found it... DOH

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
when I lived in Oakridge, 40 east of Eugene verging on the Cascades, I went out rockhounding. I saw what seemed to be a very dark blue scorp ~3 inches. Being married at the time it didn't go home with me, but I have always wondered what species it was.
Rev

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
reverendsterlin said:
when I lived in Oakridge, 40 east of Eugene verging on the Cascades, I went out rockhounding. I saw what seemed to be a very dark blue scorp ~3 inches. Being married at the time it didn't go home with me, but I have always wondered what species it was.
Rev
Were you on the west side of the mountains or the east side? Did you only see one or were you able to find many? I really want to go on a hunt once the weather gets nice. Also what time of year did you go out? Is there a town in the area that I could possibly use as a starting point?

Im just looking for as much info as possible. If anyone else is interested in possibly meeting up and searching together let me know.

Thanks everyone for the info. Keep it coming.

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looked on map quest and oakridge is only 1.5 hours away from me. Not bad at all.

reverendsterlin

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was maybe 6 miles east of Oakridge in a moist area with a fair sized creekbed (lots of newts), traveled upstream through the hills along a route paralelling the stream but 1/2 way up the hillside. I was really surprised by it's size, the color was so dark it almost seemed black but the sunlight showed it blue.

Rev

Bob

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I caught scorpions at the Kah-nee-tah resort located about 100 miles east of Portland many times. They can be found around Bend also. I don't know the species but know we have them! They get around 1.5 inch or so and are dark in color. Oregon is desert east of mount Hood !

Bob /Troutdale Oregon

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks bob. Kahneetah is where my buddy found them for the first time he says. I just dont want to go hunting and find nothing. So I am gathering all the info I posibly can.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
All you need to know about N. American Species and their distributions.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/

Checklist by state...scroll down to OR.

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/states.html

Uroctonus mordax and Paruroctonus boreus are probably the two most common species you will find in either Washington or Oregon...though of course there will probably be locals dominated by some of the other species found in those states.

John
];')

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Finally the master comes to my rescue. Thanks Kugellager

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yes

i catch scorps all the time and i live in oregon

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
dude i know were to find like 25 mordax in 2.5 hours

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mind giving me a location? Want to meet some time to catch these possibly?

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hell ya i want to meet and catch scorps i live in medford there all over in the hills down here

prang11

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awsome, I may have to plan a trip to medford in the next few months then. Ill keep in touch with you.