Cycling for breeding

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have heard some talk about cycling certain species to prep for breeding... This will apply to the species I'd like to work with (Brachy's and Aphonopelmas)... one source I saw mentioned to drop them down to the low 60's for a month or so... Is this cold enough...do people do this.... ??? Years ago someone mentioned the smae thing to me when discussing the breeding of B. smithi... I believe they talked about lowering the temps to the 50's and leave her down for 2-3 months....

This makes since and would probably mimic nature a little closer than a heated room.

What about putting breeding cage floursecent lights on timers... Maybe do an online search to find the light cycle of the native region.... maybe all this together would improve breeding success...

Any ideas, coments, advice, etc???

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
For Mexican Brachy’s iv heard and read from ppl who have had success (NME mind no idea if these things work myself) lower temps into the 60’s (at least at night could still be in the low 70’s in the day) and raise humidity at the same time for a good few weeks then raise temps back into the 70’s - low 80’s and let humidity fall back down and wait a few months.

Shorting light cycle to 8-10 hours a day in the cool time and back to 12-14 hours in the warm may help to (iirc there is less difference in winter/summer day length the close you get to the equator, our much bigger differnce may throw the spiders clocks out of sync), if all that make a huge difference to getting good sac's from Brachys i don't know myself but certainly copying wet/dry seasons seems to help many species.

Gsc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks buddy...I have a pretty good size group of adult brachys...I'm going to get the females settled in and then try experimenting with conditions and breeding...I have an extra room that I'll be able to control temps and light cycles!

Graham