Ever tried drumming like a female?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Since I got a male rosea now I was starting to wonder if a male T could be...hm... wound up by artificial drumming. He is freshly moulted so I don't wanna try this now and rather leave him in peace for a while longer. But has anybody ever tried drumming?

I don't think that any drumming would do and perhaps there are more factors to it all. Does anybody have suggestions that could lead to a successful drumsession at some later point? Is the drumming in any way different between species?

It's crazy I know, but it would just be very interesting to see what happens and how it works.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think that males start to drum, when they smell female's presence nearby, don't they ?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen and heard some of my Ts drum at different times whether there was another of the opposite sex in the room. I've tried getting some of them to respond to me tapping the sides of their enclosures before but it doesn't seem to really work. I don't know for sure but I'd imagine that each species has it's own unique way of drumming.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
BTW. some of my spiders drum even if they are not adults and any opposite sex adult is not present. It seems like they just do it for fun sometimes. Especially pokies .... But I've seen also my Avic. geroldi 6th molth drumming. Maybe they crave for some communal tank .. :)

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
:D Yeah maybe. (Don't try that at home! ;) )

Ok, this sounds exactly as futile as something I have to do one of these days.

I don't know actually where I got that from that females are drumming. When I went to bed yesterday I started wondering if I ever had seen/heard a female drum at all. I'll check the videos for that today and try to determin more facts about it before I go ahead to become DJ Arachnodance. But I hope I succeed with it eventually. It would actually be especially fun to see if burrowing females would react to it by comming to the surface. But I believe that does also normally need some coaxing from the males front legs. Another problem with just that is that I don't have any burrowing females, so that particular test would have to wait for quite some time.

Raqua

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If that worked (I doubt it ...) then it would be pretty cruel from you teasing your females like that. Imagine, that she is comming out of her burrow to enjoy a good sex or meal, maybe both :), and finds out, that it was only you. What a disapointment {D ;P :D

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have had a female respond to artificial drumming, but hard to say if she was looking for food or nookie, but I have seen a mature male repsond to myself tapping at him. Just like mature males will respond to another mature drumming in the same room. Just reminds them I guess, of what they're drumming for. ;)

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I'll add this, I handled a male that was drumming. He was hanging out of her tank and I was trying to palm him back in. He didnt drum, but vibrated. It kinda felt like one of those cheap handshake buzzers...really odd
T

Nerri1029

Chief Cook n Bottlewasher
Old Timer
Responding to THIS thread after searching..
Love the search feature :worship: :worship:

I did the search because I had an adult female G. rosea drum this morning..
I was standing right in front of her when she did it..

I have NO males that I know of .. and SHE is 100% female ( produced an eggsac)

So she bolts up the side of the Kritter Keeper.. and thumpety thumped on the side..

the KK right next to hers was a P. murinus ( young ) and nothing on the other side

The Coffee maker was BUBBLING AUDIBLYso maybe that's it..

Schlyne

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
when I brought home my first T. I gently brushed it a bit with a paintbrush (as a mite precuation, she came from a local petstore). As I was putting her into her new home, she promptly drummed on the lid. I haven't seen or heard any of my T's do it since then, and there are 24 of them now (mostly sling or juvie sizes).

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've seen many females instigate the mating by drumming. Sometimes rather agressively.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I've had juvie males drum before maturing, and I've had females drum with no males of the same species in the house.
IME, it seems possible to replicate drumming to artificially stimulate them..but for what purpose, I'm not sure!

WNY_Tarantulas

Arachnopeon
The first time i bred my pair of A. avic i drummed my fingers on the floor about an inch away from the tank...they got in the mood real quick. Of course it could have just been lucky timing on my part.

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My female B smithi seems to respond to my keyboard, she most definately drums back.
We just had a little call and response, but I felt bad "leading her on" so I stopped.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ive actually built a little mini drumset for my chaco golden knee.hes always jammin out