Has a T ever pushed a lid off of a tank

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
As said so many times by now - I'm custom building my tanks. I have devised locks for them where the front lock keeps the lid in place, prevents the sliding doors to be pushed out of their rails, prevents the sliding doors to be opened sideways and the lock can only be removed from the outside. When I say lock I mean a wire that is bent a certain way. Well, to the topic: I had no lack of inspiration when it came to the front "lock" but for the back, that is a completely different matter. As you might have understood by now, my tanks do have sliding doors and the lid can be removed completely. Since it is all made out of plexi, wood and silicone I am a bit worried that my three (soon to be mine) biggie Ts might find a way to push the lids off of their tanks and sneak out the backway.

My problem is that I can't come up with an elegant sollution to lock the lid on the back of the tank with a wire. (Elegant is a must, otherwise it isn't me :rolleyes: Using a single wire is elegant :D ) So either I find one, or I leave the tanks unlocked on the back.

So, after much rambling - Has anybody ever had an "Escape from Alcatraz"?

(Ok, to make this connection easier on you right away: The guys described in the moviee (E. f. A.) escaped via the vents and roof. :rolleyes: )

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi,

Out of the numerous T's I have owned none have ever had the strength to open the lids in any way.. I use different types of tank, the plastic critter keepers and the glass tank with the sliding doors. I always say that if they want to get out that bad to actually move something as heavy as glass doors then good luck to them and enjoy their moments of freedom! :)

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
I should also mention here that I own a cat. :liar:

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
YES!!! ME!!!! Ive had 2 push the lids off and escape! The first time I thought the kids had left the lid off a bit. But when another OBT in the same tank later on did the same thing and escaped (Found her, but not the first one) I realized that they were pushing the lid and getting out!!
She is now in a critter keeper snapped up tight!!! :D
Funny thing is, its only been my OBTs that have done it.

Michelle

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Right. That settles that. My tanks get locks :D
Thanks folks

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
OldHag said:
YES!!! ME!!!! Ive had 2 push the lids off and escape! The first time I thought the kids had left the lid off a bit. But when another OBT in the same tank later on did the same thing and escaped (Found her, but not the first one) I realized that they were pushing the lid and getting out!!
She is now in a critter keeper snapped up tight!!! :D
Funny thing is, its only been my OBTs that have done it.

Michelle
My B. smithii *almost* pushed the lid off a few times... He was often seen with 1 leg poking out and through a hole on top. Stroking the leg seemed to calm him. He would then back down the wall LOL.
:clap:

As to cats...I would just keep them out of the room! They are way too curious! :rolleyes:

Spydra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes, keep the cats out...my cat somehow found his way into my bedroom yesterday and decided he wanted to play with a few of my sling vials...he was smacking them all over the place :eek:

Thank goodness none of them were hurt, probably totally freaked out, but no damage. I have not had any of my T's ever escape. I use mostly Kritter Keepers and 1 2 1/5 gal. tank sitting vertical for my Avics.

Renee

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
I only have one room!!! :D
But lucky me my good ol' caty boy is slowly becoming a pentioner and is no longer that interested in what the eight legged youth of today is doing inside their tanks. It would be a different matter tho if a T came out and walked across the floor. The only thing a sane T could do then would be to kick up a hurricane of hairs and run back into it's hide asap ;)

Thank goodness none of them were hurt, probably totally freaked out, but no damage.
:clap:

Stroking the leg seemed to calm him.
Funny description! What? Could you see he was breathing easier?? :D

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Escape Artists...

Good one! :D While I have yet to find any of my T's trying to push or slide their tops off I have had my P. regalis poking around up there. Makes me wonder...
I have caught my T. apophysis upside down on her screen top. Little claws gripping.. it makes that sound... ;P

Strang Love

Arachnopeon
escape story of the century:
I went on spring break in daytona for likr 4 days. I came home and checked all my tanks and all seemed well. I fed all the criters and three days later my COBALT BLUE :evil: hadn't eaten anything. I watied two more days and then had to open the tank to check . My CB liked to burrow so i poked a dull piece of skinny wood into the back of the burrows to move her out but nothing. I completly emptied the tank and couldn't find her. I turned my house upside down for 2 weeks and finally (because of my 2, 9 week old kittens might be bit) i moved all my tanks outside and set off 3 bug bombs to kill it. The next night after the bombing i was digging in my laundry and who should pop out? She was dazed and i was freaked cuz they are wicked freakn fast. I trapped her and got her back into her tank. That was last year for Spring break and she is still allive and well. The lid i had on was glass with a plastic kinda insert thingy cuz the glass didn't cover the whole tank top. I guess she got her leg through it and pushed it up. It has since been locked and because of my cats i keep all my critters in my closet where i can just shut the doors. :) Hope this helps.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My adolescent Brazilian Black, after growing an inch after a molt, decided she would make a number of efforts to open her tank top. She would go to the exact spot where the slide lock is, push the lid up and down a few seconds, then try to slide (you heard me) it open. When I first heard the strange rattles and clicks coming from the room she was in, I was terrified because I thought someone was tring to break in the house :p
She eventually gave up the fight :rolleyes:

I swear, they are way smarter than we know!

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
:eek: ! Sounds as if they could be doing all sorts of things while we are asleep! ;) Thanks for the replies people. I have hence built locks for the backs of the tanks too. Now they wouldn't only have to be smart to get out but also a combination beween Schwarzenegger and Robin Hood in order to succeed with some heavy duty lockpicking! So visits out of town are now a no go :embarrassed:

Cirith ;)

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I glue magnets to the wood, and instead of sliding door, i get tiny silver doll house hinges, and a decorative metal plate & knob/handle

the magnets work pretty well,

what about a hook and eye kind of latch?if you get the right kind, you can put a small bolt on the back side of the plexi to hold it in place

Cirith Ungol

Old Timer
Good idea about the magnets! I could use that for the lids in the future. But I would still want the sliding doors locked by some other method because I wanna be able to get into the tank without too much commotion. Opening sliding doors that are held by magnets always have to be jerked open.. but there the latch idea would be good indeed! But I do alreay have the perfect sollution for the front - my 3½ in 1 wires. It was just the backside that was a bit of a hassle. I will be thinking of magnets tho for the back....

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ill post some pictures of the cage i built last night.

I didnt put the latches on it, i used something else this time, but it looks nice!