G. Rosea depressed or ill?

smotchkic

Arachnopeon
I've had a G. Rosea for about 5 months now. I think it is a male, though the pet shop had no idea and this is my fist T. so I may be wrong.

I left him alone for 10 days with water but no food. Since coming back he never leaves his corner, rarely drinks water and refuses to eat anything. Its now been 27 days and no food, very little water. (Before he was very active and ate every other day if I fed him.)
While I was gone the house was fairly cold. The other odd thing is that when I put in a cricket for him to eat, he sometimes jumps on the cricket like he wants to eat it, but does not insert his fangs and lets the cricket just wander off. Then he appears annoyed/afraid of the cricket and lets it walk under him by holding his legs up or such.

Is this normal sounding behavior? Does this mean the T. is getting ready to molt? (I have no idea what his age is either...)
Or should I be concerned? Aside from the behavior, he looks fine as far as I can tell. He's not shriveled or anything, his body looks full and healthy.

Thanks for your help and if this has been gone over a million times, sorry. I tried searching and I know they don't eat for months sometimes. I am more concerned about the jumping on the food but letting it go. Is that at all normal or may he have messed up his fangs somehow?

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would not worry...rosies have been known to fast for up to a year...just make sure the water dish is always full and offer food once a week...when the spider is ready it will eat...if it is an adult male then it may not eat much...does it have "hooks" on it front set of legs...very visible on a rosie...

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Rosies are the weirdest, most unpredictable Ts. In my opinion. i will never own one again, unless its free. :p They will slip into fasts out of nowhere. You would think its a molt and boom....6 months later they eat. It has something to do with the where they are from.
this thread has some great info:
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=5292
How big is yours? Is the patch on the abdomen blk?

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
BlkCat beat me to it- I suggest you read that sticky- there won't be many Q's left to ask after you read it! 27 days is nothing to a T...one of mine last ate before Thanksgiving! You will learn patience,or go mad,my friend!

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
bonesmama said:
BlkCat beat me to it- I suggest you read that sticky- there won't be many Q's left to ask after you read it! 27 days is nothing to a T...one of mine last ate before Thanksgiving! You will learn patience,or go mad,my friend!
That was my prob with mine. I went mad! :}

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We all sound like worried parent.I also have the same problem with some of my snakes.Even though I know it's normal,it still drives me crazy

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
For an adult or semi-adult T it is normally sufficient enough to feed them every one or two weeks. When you've fed her more often the last couple on months than she might just be overfed. In case your T is going to molt within the next couple of weeks then she will also refuse to eat. Furthermore G. roseas are known for not eating over a period of several months. So that's nothing to worry about. Also you normally don't see T's drinking very often since most of them satisfy their need of water from drops on the ground, plants or on the wall of the cage. Still it is very important to keep the water bowl filled and to replace the water every couple of days with fresh one in order to keep the humidity in the cage at a higher level than in your room (for a rosie about 70% are quite ideal).
The fact that it was cool during the days you were not at home is also no problem for a G. rosea since where she comes from it gets very cold in winter. In fact it is even recommended to keep this species quite cool for a couple of weeks each year with only a little food. When you do this chances are good that your rosie will not do the typically fasting.

smotchkic

Arachnopeon
Thanks to all of you for your help. I guess no need to worry. :)

As for male or female, I'm fairly sure I see the male "hooks" on the front legs.

I appreciate the replys and I'm about to read the thread above. cheers!

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
smotchkic said:
Thanks to all of you for your help. I guess no need to worry. :)

As for male or female, I'm fairly sure I see the male "hooks" on the front legs.

I appreciate the replys and I'm about to read the thread above. cheers!
If you do have a mature male, then they will tend to eat less.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Premolt, my T would also beat the livin' daylights out of crickets but not eat them. She actually hunted each one down and kicked it's butt...I guess she wanted them to fear her and stay away due to the impending molt. I took them all out and gave no more until a week after she molted a month later.