Growth-rates

PapaRoacher

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Has anyone actually compiled a list of growth-rates for each species, in each genus?

Ex.

"Acanthoscurria:
-geniculata (Very Fast)

Avicularia:
-avicularia (Moderate)
-minatrix (Very Slow)
-versicolor (Fast)

Brachypelma:
-albopilosum (Slow)
-angustum (Moderate)
-smithi (Slow)
-vagans (Moderate)"

death1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would think the larger the T the faster the growth. :confused:

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For me A. geniculata and B. smithi have the same growth rates, from my experience anyway. I have raised 2 specimens of each species from 1/4" to about 4" in 6 months. I don't think growth rates are as firm as people think.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I trully think it has to do with the tempsthey are kept at aswell as the amount of food u feed them. Aswell as how often they are fed.

lpw

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
death1 said:
I would think the larger the T the faster the growth. :confused:
This is certainly not a good rule of thumb. Consider C. crawshayi. They are one of the largest T's, but are (in)famous for their slow growth rate.

common spider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I agree that just becuase a T is large when it is full grown that does not mean that it is a fast grower when it is young.

Although I have never kept a record of how fast my young ones grown I think it is a good idea too keep track of there growth.

I think I might start doing this.

:)

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lpw said:
This is certainly not a good rule of thumb. Consider C. crawshayi. They are one of the largest T's, but are (in)famous for their slow growth rate.
From 1" to 7" in 3 years. You're right that is the slowest growing T I have.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Female g pulchras grow painfully slow. My 1st female took 6 years :eek:
By the way, she ate like a pig!

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope people don't think I'm bragging I'm just trying to show that there is kind of a myth factor to growth rate.

My pulchras 4 of them have grown from 3/4" to between 3" and 4" since this summer. 2 I got in July and 2 I got in august. So far I've sexed 2 as female and 1 as male, the last one is on its back right now.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bet they are all males Davy ;P

Edit: I will say my new g pulchra female went from 3" to a little over 4" in her last molt.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Apocalypstick said:
Bet they are all males Davy ;P

Edit: I will say my new g pulchra female went from 3" to a little over 4" in her last molt.
If you read my post at least 2 are female.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I would have to agree with BlkCat. There are too many variables to really give a definitive answer to your question. Obviously David power feeds his T's and excellerates the growth rates of his T's. Others follow a leaner diet and will experience a much slower growth rate with the same species.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I ve had three pulchras....all ate like pigs. The male grew much quicker than the fems and it appears my new juvie girlie will be growing faster that my other female.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Apocalypstick said:
I ve had three pulchras....all ate like pigs. The male grew much quicker than the fems and it appears my new juvie girlie will be growing faster that my other female.

When you define "ate like pigs" please elaborate. How often and how much did you feed?

For example, T's can survive with little food and basically stall growth entirely and survive.... see here.

And that is an amazing case to at least raise the bar on the discussion to how feeding can influence growth rates beyond what we might anticipate.

David feeds daily, sometimes 2x daily... I don't think enough is known in general, much less species specific to make any grand sweeping statements to this effect. David keeps immaculate molt and feeding records. His results may be surprising, but I don't doubt them.

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I aslo keep records. "pig" means the T would eat several cricks a day if I let them. I don't power feed, but for juvies I like to give them at least three to five cricks (depending on T size) three times a week.

The 4+' pulchra I have now wants more... so she gets four to five cricks over a two day period....skip a day...then repeat.

death1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well, I'd gather there are many points to a spiders growth. Case... does a spider picked up 3 times a day, eat more... grow... attack... die... kept in... molt more/ less than another? I think there are too many varibles, properties, characteristics unless there are controles :?

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Apocalypstick said:
I aslo keep records. "pig" means the T would eat several cricks a day if I let them. I don't power feed, but for juvies I like to give them at least three to five cricks (depending on T size) three times a week.

The 4+' pulchra I have now wants more... so she gets four to five cricks over a two day period....skip a day...then repeat.
that sounds like power feeding to me.

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think temps have a large influence too. I keep my spider room at between 80f and 90f during the day, dropping to about 75f at night. Feeding between 8 and 12 crix a week, even as slings. I breed my own crix so I have appropriate sizes.