T's with no U-hairs?

Hoosier

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello, I was wondering if there are any kinds of T's that don't have any uriticating hairs? Was it the Old Worlds that don't have any? Thanks in advance!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Old Worlds don't have. Although I believ e Avics. have themn on thier pedipalps. :cool:

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Avicularia spp. have urticating hairs on the ventral sides of the abdomen, Ephebopus spp. have urticating hairs on their palps. There are a few NW species without urticating hairs. Tapinauchenius and Psalmopoeus are the two genera that I can think of off the top of my head but I believe there are a few others. OW tarantulas don't have urticating hairs.

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The only genus I'm aware of that has urticating setae on the pedipalps is Ephebopus.

I believe that Avicularia have their patch on the under side of the opisthosoma. Rather than kicking hair, they rub it on you.

Psalmopeous does not posess urticating hair, and is the only new world genus that I'm aware of that is lacking in this aspect.

Rob is correct in stating that old worlder's don't have them either.

Edit: Haha! Looks like you beat me to the punch, David! Thanks for filling in Tapinauchenius! For some reason I tend to forget about that genus.

Last edited:

Rob1985

This user has no status.
BlkCat said:
But OWs have attitudes to make up for it. :p
I couldn't agree more Drotch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My E.pachypus needs anger managment. She seems angry to be alive :?

Belarius

Arachnopeon
Old Timer
BlkCat said:
But OWs have attitudes to make up for it. :p

Yup, thats why I named my OBT Eminem...cuz she is pissed off all the time and you know that if she could talk and had a mic, she'd be rapping about trifling pinky mice and them whack a$$ crickets keeping her up all night with their chirps thinking they got something to say! :}

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I named mine Annabelle, cause it soinds like a snobby gorils name from highschool {D

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My OBT already has a name... Wrath. I havent even recieved it yet. :p

Last edited:

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hrmm I think the only new world spiders lacking Urcitating hairs are P. Irminia , P. cambredgei and P.pulcher. Otherwise it's Old World all the way.

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

brigebane said:
hrmm I think the only new world spiders lacking Urcitating hairs are P. Irminia , P. cambredgei and P.pulcher.
...and what about the other Psalmopoeus species and Tapinauchenius spp. and the NW Ischnocolinae ...

all the best,
Martin