Mites!?

ezekeil

Arachnopeon
ARgh, i've only had the T regalis sling for a week, it had new substrate, the stuff that expands with water, i was told to keep it moist, so iv sprayed the stuff lightly each morning. Its in a plastic critter keeper thing with a nylon layer (so he dont get through the holes!)

They look like white blood suckers, shiny etc. I only just saw 1, then looked a lil harder and noticed a few more :(

I didnt notice any on the sling though, are they good or bad ones? and what should i do! I dont want it do die, and i was told that it had to be kept in with moist substrate so i dont know why the mites occured?

Im chatting eratically but im worried ! help plz! :( :( :(

Last edited:

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi ezekeil,

Do a search on 'mites' and you'll get millions of previous threads telling you all about them.
They're usually harmless so dont worry, their just a PITA.

ezekeil

Arachnopeon
Ye i have been doing that now :rolleyes: , was just a bit freaked out at the site of them!

Most people suggested dry substrate and a dish, but for a sling is that an option? guess il get some new substrate tomorow and put it in fresh housing but should i carry on spraying it or leave it dry and use a little water dish with cotton in or something?

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cotton in the water dish is a bad idea.. Big no no! ;)
If the mites are located in one site, then just scoop them out and it should be fine, if there is total infestation then I would change the substrate, but some people like to dry out the tank and kill them off that way. A water dish on its own and maybe a spray down once a week will be fine for a sling, never had a problem myself doing it that way.
Remember to always remove dead crickets, and any remains that the T leaves, then you will be on the way to a mite free life ;)

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ezekeil said:
ARgh, i've only had the T regalis sling for a week, it had new substrate, the stuff that expands with water, i was told to keep it moist, so iv sprayed the stuff lightly each morning. Its in a plastic critter keeper thing with a nylon layer (so he dont get through the holes!)

They look like white blood suckers, shiny etc. I only just saw 1, then looked a lil harder and noticed a few more :(

I didnt notice any on the sling though, are they good or bad ones? and what should i do! I dont want it do die, and i was told that it had to be kept in with moist substrate so i dont know why the mites occured?

Im chatting eratically but im worried ! help plz! :( :( :(
Good news. Coconut bark will not support the mites. You can let it dry out a bit but do keep one big, shallow, water dish or several smaller ones. Pokies are really hardy and can survive alot. Move her to another cage when you can, but if you only find one, you are probably not going to get in much trouble. Watch the misting, you can over do it very quickly. I mist about once a week, provide a water dish the rest of the time. I do not let mine completely dry out, really dry air in the house. I HAVE LOST ALOT OF TARANTULAS TO BAD MOLTS BECAUSE OF TOO DRY OF SUBSTRATE!!! I do let it change color before remoistening the substrate. I got a little halplopelma that had mites. Keep the debris clear and the cage clean.
TheDarkFinder