Cyriocosmus elegans

David Burns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just received 4 tiny little s'lings of this species. They could fit in the loop of the 6 on your keyboard. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how fast, in general, these guys grow? Any other info on this species would be appreciated. I have already read every thing that a search reveals on the boards and google. I have yet to find a care sheet though. Thanks in advance.

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd also love to have one of these, haven't found any so far.
I'm almost sure I have a care sheet for that species at home, I will take a look this evening. Of course it's in German but I can try to translate it one of these days and post it here.

pelo

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
David Burns said:
I just received 4 tiny little s'lings of this species. They could fit in the loop of the 6 on your keyboard. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how fast, in general, these guys grow? Any other info on this species would be appreciated. I have already read every thing that a search reveals on the boards and google. I have yet to find a care sheet though. Thanks in advance.
>>I find these guys a very hardy species.They grow quite quickly actually.I keep the soil slightly moist...more to the dry side and moderate temps.It's not a big concern to have freshly hatched pinheads for them.They will take/scavenge dead pinheads no problem...even pinheads bigger than they are.At that size I offer a dead pinhead 2x weekly removing after a day or two.When they start getting a bit of size they'll tackle live prey bigger than themselves no problem.They have a very good feeding response.If they're not feeding you know definitely there's an impending molt coming.That's the only time I've ever seen them refuse food...lol..Fast...well it's not that they're fast...they're fast and small..lol..I find they usually scamper back down their burrows rather quickly when disturbed.They're on the skittish side for sure.Give them ample substrate to burrow and make a small burrow/tunnel with a toothpick and they will take advantage of it quickly.They are avid burrows and make quite elaborate burrows.They should reach mature size in about a year.."maybe" sooner.I had males mature out in just 11-12 months...breeding the females at appr the same age.They reach around the 3.5-4 cm size at maturity.They can live in adequate sized vials eventually moving them into the smallest critter keeper when mature.Just be really careful with any hole/slit size.They will/can surprise you with their ability to escape even through the smallest of holes/slits.Enjoy your new spiders.They're little jewels for sure.

omer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
those are realy rare, i realy like to have a few but there are none in Israel... :( :mad:

Greg Wolfe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Elegant elegans...

Bearskin10 said:
Can't wait to get a few of these in the U.S.......
I second that Bearskin! I haven't seen any here yet. :(

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So this is was I've got from a book by Martin Meinhardt:

'Habitat:
C. elegans is native to Venezuela, Trinidad, Brasil and Bolivia. Lives in deep caves.

Care:
A small container (20 x 20 x30 cm or even smaller) is sufficient for this species. Put in at least 10 cm of soil since they are burrowing. Keep the soil damp at all times. Tempetarure should be around 25°C. Humidity should be kept at 70 to 80%. Should only be fed with insects that are by far smaller than the tarantula itself.

Breeding:
Since it is sometimes hard to get a T of the different sex breeding is not very common. In case one can get two of a different sex the mating process is very peaceful but the female does not allways make an eggsack afterwards. In case it is successfull there will be 30 to 40 eggs. The slings are very tiny and reach adulthood after two years. The max. lifespan of a female is about 7 years.'

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
T-Harry said:
So this is was I've got from a book by Martin Meinhardt:

'Habitat:
C. elegans is native to Venezuela, Trinidad, Brasil and Bolivia. Lives in deep caves.
Do you mean deep burrows on the forest floor perhaps?
T

T-Harry

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
monantony said:
Do you mean deep burrows on the forest floor perhaps?
T
Yep, actually THAT is the word I was looking for. I didn't come up with the right word at the time and so I looked it up in a dictionary. In German there is only one word which has the meaning of both burrow and cave. That's why I came up with the wrong word.