pill bugs?

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've read that if you put a few pill bugs in your tank they will help with dead food remains and fecal matter. Does anyone know anything about this? How many do I need to use in a 5.5 gallon tank? Where is the best place to get them?

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks, but I was thinking I could just find some in the wild I'm not going to pay for something you can find under just about any rock or log.

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
juggalo69 said:
Thanks, but I was thinking I could just find some in the wild I'm not going to pay for something you can find under just about any rock or log.
Don't use WC pill bugs, they may contain poison that quickly can kill any animal that may eat them.

Remember to never let the substrate dry out or your pill bugs will die.

DR zuum

ArachnoAntigen
Old Timer
True but i learned a long,long, time ago about getting inverts,feeders etc from the wild.Good luck may you not get the same expensive lesson.OOP my man Port 513 beat me to it LOL.But thats the truth.

Last edited:

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What kind of poison? Like insectasides and fertalizer or some kind of natural defense?

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have used wc porcellio. They weren't contaminated. You just need to make sure that the area you collect from is never treated and undisturbed. I used to collect them anywhere moss grew because I knew there wasn't any human activity there. They work great as garbage men. A food bolus never lasts through the night with them in the tank.
Mike

Last edited:

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
juggalo69 said:
What kind of poison? Like insectasides and fertalizer or some kind of natural defense?
Like lead and other nasty stuff, they seems to accumulate poisons...

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What was wrong with the first link provided? That is in the US, isn't it?

You aren't asking where to collect them in the US, are you?

Personally, I do collect my own, plus I keep a thriving colony in with my crickets in a large critter keeper. I don't experience the "stinky crickets" that others mention, and I am betting it is the presence of all the pillbugs and sowbugs!

I've been using them for years and they work great. Haven't had any problems yet.

Last edited:

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thanks all

I went out to my wood pile out back caught some and threw them in probably 10 in my 10 gallon tank 6 in my 5 1/2 gallon and like 8 in with my crickets. We'll see what happens. I left for a couple hours and now I can't find any of them they must have burrowed into the substrate. Guess I don't have to worry about them getting eaten. :clap:

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have some in my yard, (*that I know hasnt been treated with anything*) I think i may try them myself

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
This is the first I've ever heard of using pill bugs, for janitors. I wish I would have known about this a year or two ago. Learn something new everyday...

juggalo69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm assuming that they eat the rotting wood and waste out of the tank.

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mandi said:
I have some in my yard, (*that I know hasnt been treated with anything*) I think i may try them myself
But your yard isn't a closed eco system right?

Mandi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I live in the middle of no where. My house is surrounded by woods, and a little bayou/coullie thing (uh thats a creek for you yankie people)

On the other side of the woods, and water.. are cows, cows, and cows.

Trust me.. Im good LOL

port513

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mandi said:
I live in the middle of no where. My house is surrounded by woods, and a little bayou/coullie thing (uh thats a creek for you yankie people)

On the other side of the woods, and water.. are cows, cows, and cows.

Trust me.. Im good LOL
Then it may be ok, try and tell us what happened ;)