Leopard Geckos in the mail - How long will they be okay?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I purchased 2 leopard geckos from Stacey (Ruri Hai), but the post office can't find my package even though they were sent express mail (overnight).

There were also 2 tarantulas in the package, which I'm sure will be okay one more night. However, I'm more concerned about the geckos. Can they make it two days packaged up?

I've got calls in to try and track them down, but the last time I talked to the post office they told me that they didn't know if they had even left IL yet!

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
If those are well-fed adults with fat tails, probably OK, but you also probably will have to treat them for dehydration when you get them. No tracking number?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
JohnxII said:
If those are well-fed adults with fat tails, probably OK, but you also probably will have to treat them for dehydration when you get them. No tracking number?
Yeah, I've got a tracking number, but the status isn't changing at all, and hasn't since they were shipped. I've talked to three or four different people at the post office(s), and they can't tell me anything.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The USPS isn't the ideal way to ship live animals. Go with one of the airlines next time.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
DavidBeard said:
The USPS isn't the ideal way to ship live animals. Go with one of the airlines next time.
Well, since they were shipped express mail they were supposed to be flown to me overnight.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Two nights they should be ok as long as they dont get too cold. USPS scares me!! I will ship things with them sometimes but I hear so many scary things...
Its hard to pay the 60 bucks UPS charges for overnight when you know that maybe, just MAYBE, USPS can get it to you overnight for 20.
Hope heat packs were included..

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
OldHag said:
Two nights they should be ok as long as they dont get too cold. USPS scares me!! I will ship things with them sometimes but I hear so many scary things...
Its hard to pay the 60 bucks UPS charges for overnight when you know that maybe, just MAYBE, USPS can get it to you overnight for 20.
Hope heat packs were included..
If they are anywhere near me then they are okay temperature-wise since i'm in GA and it's already warming up a good bit here.

I just talked to someone in administration and they told me that since it was a live animal they were going to keep looking as hard as they can and will call me when they find out anything.

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Leopard geckos are pretty hearty dudes. I would think the tarantulas are more likely to suffer any problems with shipping delays. If the weather is all right, then there shouldn't be any problems.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I got a call at 7:15am this morning from my post office to say that they had my package. I went to pick it up and everything looks good! All the animals (spiders and geckos) made it. {D

The guy at the post office said that the package had been X-rayed and they had said something dangerous was inside. When I told him what was in it, he told me that he didn't know why they would say that, because it is legal to ship geckos and spiders, provided that the shipping is humane. He agreed with me that airmail/express is the best way to ship those.

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Good to hear that. I'd imagine after a couple days your new friends should be still in great shape!

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Glad to hear they are ok. I always worry about x-rays though. It isn't like when a person gets an x-ray, a brief blast. Going through a conveyor-style baggage x-ray wouldn't they be irradiated for up to 30 sec? Can't be good for them.

FRAZE01

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am glad to hear all is ok.I lost an $1100 snake through usps.Will never use them again