tARANTULA KEEPERS GUIDE

Darryl Albers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
THERE ARE SO MANY QUESTIONS THAT PEOPLE , ESSPESSIALLY NEWBIES ASK ON THIS FORUM . SOME SEEM DISTURBING AT TIMES I HAVE TO ADMIT . I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS IS PART OF WHAT THIS GREAT FORUM IS FOR ,, BUT BY CRIKEY ..... READ THE TARANTULA KEEPERS GUIDE AND BE INFORMED AND FASCINATED WITH THIS BIBLE ON T'S . SURELY RESEARCH INTO KEEPING AN EXOTIC SPECIES BEFORE YOU PURCHASE OR ADOPT ONE SHOULD BE LOGICAL ? :confused:

I ADMITTEDLY HAVE ONLY BEEN INTO T'S FOR 12 MONTHS . THANK GOD FOR ARACHNOBOARDS CUASE THERE WOULD BE A LOT OF UNHAPPY T'S WITHOUT YOU!
I HAVE 30 T'S NOW , MOSTLY SLINGS AND NO FATALITIES ,,,,
LEARN , READ BOOKS AND USE COMMON SENSE SO YOU CAN KEEP THEM HAPPY , BEFORE YOU TAKE A WILD ANIMAL ON AS A PET !!!! :) :) :)

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i bought the THE TARANTULA KEEPERS GUIDE before i got my first T and it was very very helpfull, i recomend it to anyone who has or is getti a T.

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I bought the guide after I had a few of them. I researched on this board and other places before buying though.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yep I gotta agree, almost everything is in there, its the bible of tarantula, but its sad, some ppl dont care enough of their T, to buy a book about 'em

BenG

Arachnopeon
I am in the process of re-reading it for he third time just because it's so helpful and fascinating. Alot of things I had forgotten about the second time through seeing that the first time through was mostly for the basics.
It's, I'd say, a necessary purchase for any T keeper.

But then again.. this board has offered more knowledge than I could've imagined. In my opinion, there is not enough research one can do regarding T's.. the more knowledge the better!

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I absolutely love the section on catching your own t's; very interesting and informative book.

Darryl Albers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Spider-man 2 said:
There is already a review for this book HERE and this thread is in the wrong forum. :D
WRONG FORUM ? DO YOU MEAN CATEGORY WITHIN FORUM?
THIS THREAD WAS PERTAINING TO THE QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS THAT COULD BE ANSWERED BEFORE YOU HAVE TO ASK THEM AND NOT A REVIEW ON THE BOOK ,, THEREFORE IT IS NOT ENTIRELY INCORRECT TO POST HERE , THIS IS NOT AN ANNOUNCEMENT OR A PHOTO THIS IS A FACT !!!!
;)

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
metallica said:
caps lock off please
Darryl,

Some people consider all caps...SHOUTING! Bad protocol :)

I agree with you, your post was not a review. However, its not like the Tarantula Keepers Guide is a new publication or a best seller. Most people find out about the TKG from experiened keepers or on forums like this. Newbie questions preceed reading the guide, a fact of life.

If the Tarantula Keepers Guide was all inclusive this forum would be unneccesary.

Angel

Arachnopeon
Ok, I have to say this, Yes I'm a newb on here. Yes I own a T, a white knee to be more specific. I got mine not because I wanted one, but to help out my boyfriends cousin. We didn't get a book when we got the T cause we raise chinchillas, and through out the years that we have delt with them, ANY ordinary book that you pick up from you local book store, or even pet store is filled with the INCORRECT info. While I know a T is not a chinchilla, I was going under the same assumption with the T. Since coming to this forum and finding out that the books on T's are correct, I will be ordering it tonight. Howevery some people out there just don't think those books are filled with the correct info. That is why they end up on fourums like this asking those "Dumb newb questions". (I was a newb once with chins, and I know what It's like being on a forum and seeing the same questions asked over and over and most threads started within days or hours of each other)

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
IMHO, while The Tarantula Keeper's Guide was quite informative, I've learned a lot more from these forums.

I feel like a lot of slamming goes on toward new people who have a tarantula and don't know anything about it. What's the point of slamming them? You can't go back and change the situation. They have the spider. They want to learn more about it.

I was in the hobby for about 7 months before I bought The Tarantula Keeper's Guide. Forums have been my main source of information and the collective knowledge of everyone on these forums is phenomenal!

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I have gotta agree with Dwayne when this in the wrong forum. I get the feeling thread is gonna be nothing but an argument. I have ask a mod. to please lock it before it gets outa hand. Although I agree this website has been more than informative to me and I have learned soo much!!!!! Thanks AB!!! :worship: :clap:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Well, this is a discussion of his experience with the book, not a review, so no biggie.

TTKG is our bible. Just like God's bible, you read it through once. Then you refer to it when questions arise, put post-it's on important pages and highlight important passages. Mine is well read and well worn. The Schultzs are not only brilliant people, but they have gathered everything we need to know in one, user friendly document.

BEFORE one contemplates buying a tarantula, they should buy and read this book.

CherishYour_f8

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I agree with Becca,these forums can be more informative.The keepers guide is also a must have for any keeper.
It peeves me a bit also coming here and seeing the forums jammed up with the same-ole questions.But on the other hand if those questions were not repeatedly asked I would'nt have the knowledge I have today.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Tarantula Keeper's Guide

One and All -

First, many thanks to all of you for your inspired and inspiring compliments!

As many of you already know the GUIDE was published in 1998, almost 7 years ago. A lot has changed in the meantime and, sadly, the GUIDE is beginning to show its age. Rest assured, we are taking all your criticisms into account and are planning on upgrading it to a third edition in the future. In the meantime you can get the major corrections and additions by visiting http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/index.html and clicking on “After-market support for your copy of The Tarantula Keeper's Guide.”

And yes, you will learn a lot more about tarantulas by monitoring these forums. The GUIDE is merely a tool to bring you up to speed with the basics. This is primarily due to 2 reasons:

1. It is impossible to fit all the information available about tarantulas between two covers. Besides important financial considerations on the publisher’s part there is the very real issue of how much one or two aging people can learn and remember long enough to get into print. We’re just about at our limit, trust me!

2. The tarantula keeping hobby marches on. Every day someone comes up with a new angle or a new question. It’s impossible to update the book to keep pace with our knowledge and experience on a day to day basis. Somewhere along the line we have to make a decision about what goes into a book and what must be left out, at least till next time, and then we have to stop typing and send the manuscript off to the publisher. After that, little changes with the book except the march of time.

We really need forums like this so that enthusiasts have a place to ask questions and advertise their accomplishments (and sometimes, failures). Keep up the good work.

These forums are also an immense help to we authors. All we have to do is monitor the questions that come up and we can easily tell what the most pressing questions are, where the most important gaps are in our collective knowledge and experience, and where we’ve failed our readers. Trust me, we’re taking notes!

While we gladly accept the praise and accolades that you heap on us, we also need to thank *YOU* for your help. Your steady stream of questions and comments on these forums not only gives us great inspiration, it also helps us serve you better. Thanks to all of you!

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
MizM said:
Well, this is a discussion of his experience with the book, not a review, so no biggie.
This is the exact reason that this thread is remaining in the tarantulas questions and discussions forum. So let's all discuss and leave the reviews to the reviews forum.

Thanks. :)

Debby

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is to be expected that when newbies come on, they will ask ?s. I am ordering the book at borders, but is hasnt arrived yet grr :evil: I was a little frustrated when i got on because everyone know so much and i knew so little, and when i described my cage, i basically got yelled at for doing what i thought was best for my two rosies. I almost got rid of them because of it. Instead, i hid my feelings and changed my cages to more comfortable settings. Please be nice to newbies. Giving them a bad reception just encourages people to get out of the hobby and keep their prejudiced views on spiders. After all, if the people who keep them are angry at you for asking questions, it seems to tell what personality tarantula owners have. Not of course that all people do that, but people who are not nice for some reason stand out more than people who are. Please put yourself in their shoes and remember that at one time, you were a newbie.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is not as much a debate about whether the TTKG or the forums are a better source of information, but rather that someone new to the hobby spend some time learning about T's before they get one. It is important that someone take the time to learn the basics before even getting a tarantula.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i rad the basics an the TKG, but i still learned more after my first T :D