When do Garter snakes generally come around in NH?

DeadIrishD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was wondering when I'd most likely be able to see Garter snakes around here in New Hampshire, as I am thinking about catching a few like I used too when I was a kid, and setting up a nice sized tank for them, as most of the places around here that do sell them, sell WC's so I figure why buy a WC when you can catch one yourself.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am already seeing a few here in Missouri when we have a warm day so it can't be long for NH garters to come out. As soon as there are a few days that reach 70+F you will probably start seeing them.

DeadIrishD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
kick ass, hopfully if I'm lucky I'll be able to breed a pair or two of garters keep the babies, and let the parents go back to the wild, unless they tame down good enough, and I find a way or two to rid parasites and such.

will snakes and other herps suffer from inbreeding the same way dogs, cats, and humans will?

Last edited:

DeadIrishD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
anyone know any easy ways to get rid of mites and such, the snakes may have since their WC?

NYBrett

Arachnopeon
Im from NY I usually start to see garders around mid-may. I heard coating them with mineral(sp?) oil sufficates mites. also common non-toxic flea powder works. Im sure a pet shop sells reptile mite killers as they are a common problem. Also when you get a snake, put some small goldfish in its water dish. Watch the snake "go fishing" They eat fish 2-5 at a time and they wiggle around inside the snake- Its wierd but fun to wathc the snakes catch them. good luck!

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ditto

Ditto on the mineral oil it rocks, but I don't trust pet store goldfish, they're usually swimming with internal parasites that will easily transfer to snakes. In RI I usually wait till there has been a week in the upper 50-60degree range. Fortunately that has just begun here and pretty soon I'll be out in the woods hunting. This has been a weird year though I can usually go out mid march and start huntin for em.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oops

Forgot to mention, if you want a pair wait longer. Males come out first and then females a week or so later.

DeadIrishD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thats cool that you live in R.I my moms boyfriend lives there also in providence, maybe I'll go down there and start to look, also any chance of them hanging around a marsh?

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yup

Garters eat all kinds of amphibians so you'll prolly find em round marshes. You'll also find ringneck snakes and ribbon snakes around marshes here in RI.

DeadIrishD

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the only snake I know of being around here in NH is a garter.

I wonder if theres more snakes than just them :-/ around here