My first T. blondi. Surprise surprise... I have Q's

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi
I've been keeping T's for about 2 years now. Well its not so much keeping T's as it is just owning a chilean rose. About 2 months ago I got a 1" P. murinus and today I got a 1.5" T. blondi. Thats my collection so far (apart from my numerous other pets).
Now to my question: My blondi is black all over except for the light-ish hairs on the abdomen, cephalothorax and legs. I have seen several pics of T.blondi on the net and on the posts by other members on this site and the T's look like they're a velvety brown. Will my T ever look like that? (assuming that I give it the right conditions) or are there other colour phases of T.blondi?

And what about blondi growth rates?

Thanks,
Nicky.

Last edited:

Malkavian

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't know of many spiders who's adult coloration has completely come in by that size. Expect its color to change a bit as it gets older and larger

Washout

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mine is 5" at least and still black. Maybe they need more than 5 or 6 months in order to turn that tan color. At younger ages they seem to molt more often than that.

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I could be mistaken here, but isn't there an elusive "black phase" of the blondi? I think someone on the boards has an adult one, not one in pre-adult color form...

Strang Love

Arachnopeon
you know mine also turns black post molt. She's been that way for about 4 days now and she keeps geting darker. She's about 4.5 inchs maybe more, have her in a 5.5 gal so can't really she full spread.

Jmadson13

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sounds like an eminent shed to me, keep her moist and water available. My blondi is in premolt right now; the anticipation, as soon as she's finished I'll be mating her on a breeding loan hopefully.

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 8" blondi just molted 2 days ago, and she is now black. Her exoskeleton is the brown you saw in the pics! Go figure! I would love for her to stay this color, she looks so cool! But I can see some brown in there too, so I don't know...I wouldn't worry, since it is not mature yet. Wait and see!

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It could be post molt since there is an exoskeleton in the container
I bought it in. Before seeing juvenile pics of the blondi, I thought it looks a lot like a regular spider than a tarantula. Her small size did fool me, she had 3 mealworms stuffed in her fangs last night, and this morning everything was gone.

Nicky.