A. anax before and after molt

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The first two are of my male A. anax before molt. The second two are after molt. Look how dark the carapice is after the molt. Wonder if it will lighten up some within the next week as it molted 3 days ago.

Last edited:

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
oh he is a litte cutie!! He is perfect size for my girl :D I may even have 2 girls for him :) But im not sure yet.

Thanks for sharing, pinch his chelicera for me! :D

Edit: make that 3, possibly. :)

Last edited:

Bean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ultimate Aphonopelma males get me every time. Stunning spider.

N.W.A.

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is a very nice spider. How much did it cost you?

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
He cost me nothing! I had a friend that went to visit her family in south Texas last summer and asked her to have her brothers catch me a tarantula. So they did and here he is.

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here are some more photos I got tonight. He is a great looking anax!

Last edited:

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
he is beautiful! wow. I wonder why is carapace is so dark, ive never seen that before.

Thanks for sharing, im looking forward to seeing him in person!!! :drool:

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
He actually looks more brown than the ones I caught last year. I can't wait until they get out and about...

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I can't say I've seen an anax that's darker. I'd like to see pics if anyone has some.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
me neither, but keep in mind he just molted...so it could change soon, or with time. I guess only time will tell.
Not to mention what you think to be A. anax could not be, so I think its even safer to call it Aphonopelma sp. rather than anax or hentzi, whichever. I had a clarkii (caught in Dallas) that sorta looked dark like that, but who knows.
Im probably making no sense, but someone else could explain it better {D

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
WhyTeDraGon said:
Mr. Ed, where in Texas are you?

Big Spring, good old west Texas. It's about 120 mi. south of Lubbock, or 40 mi. east of Midland.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mmm...West Texas is the best for herping and collecting inverts. Someday ill get my butt out there, I hear GREAT things :) Especially about the alterna :D

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
WhyTeDraGon said:
mmm...West Texas is the best for herping and collecting inverts. Someday ill get my butt out there, I hear GREAT things :) Especially about the alterna :D

It is good for herping ( and herbing) and for inverts, but it pretty much sucks for anything else. Oh, if your this direction around the 2nd weekend of March, in Sweetwater where I grew up they have the world's largest rattlesnake round-up. Not sure how many pounds were caught this year but I'm thinkingaround 8500lbs. If your not into snakes they have big cook-offs and lots of beer.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mr Ed said:
It is good for herping ( and herbing) and for inverts, but it pretty much sucks for anything else. Oh, if your this direction around the 2nd weekend of March, in Sweetwater where I grew up they have the world's largest rattlesnake round-up. Not sure how many pounds were caught this year but I'm thinkingaround 8500lbs. If your not into snakes they have big cook-offs and lots of beer.
ugh, I dont like the roundup, would never pay to see snakes slaughtered. :embarrassed:
But if I come that way, we could definitely talk about herping and catching some T's :)

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
I'm always ready for a road trip. It's nothing to see 5 or 10 A. Anax's a night in places. I only keep the better looking ones. I think I had about 6 or 7 last year, with only one female. It's fun though...

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow, I only find females, with the exception of one male found 2 years ago, and a male that I just found this past weekend.

Sorry to hijack this thread

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
Must be nice to have all those females, all of the males were ultimate males and died probably 6 mo to a year later.

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
actually, it took me quite awhile to find a male for them, which is this one post in this thread. The male I have now is not mature, though his next molt will probably be.

Did you find your males out wandering around, or in holes? I find all of mine in holes.

Mr Ed

Arachnobaron
I found all of mine out wandering around. I don't go out in the weeds and brush (remember about the worlds largest rattlesnake roundup--haha). They are especially out after big rains, but we haven't had any yet and it's still pretty cool for them yet. I give it a month or so and I'll be here on AB bragging about all my "new" T's.