A PERFECT example of a female exuvium PIC

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Hello.
Lately there has been allot of sexing on here so I figured that I would help out. What I have here for a pic is of a Female adult Brachypelma vagans. Approx size now is 6". You can clearly see the 2 sets of booklungs and also the "infamous" area where the flap is on females.

P.S. (BOARD MODS).....If this should be in another place. Just let me know.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
This should be in a sticky. Along with a really good pic of a male exuvium and a couple good ventral sexing pics too. That way people can just go to the sticky and compare their pictures to some really accurate ones. Don't y'all think so?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Heres one of the ventral side of the same T before this molt.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i comepletely agree this should be in a sticky, myself being a newbie have read about as much as i can find on sexing a T , and i am still a little bit (a little i said lol) about the whole sexing issue. thanks ChrisNCT for the great pic and the drawings on the pic.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Let's not forget that there are different "flaps." It'd be good to have examples of many different species, both male and female.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
good point becca. is it possible for someone to add these to this thread?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Becca is correct..not all of the flaps are identical. They are similar but this will give the general idea on what to look for.That is why I store these photos. I keep very intracte records of sizes, molts, sexing, eating and other information on all of my pets. I have many internal/ external shots of exuviums for many different species. I just didnt want to post it here and end up being in the wrong forums ro something.

What I think is that we should either make a sexing library with just pics storage or on the actual genus/species post, put it in there somewhere (sticky at top)?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Here is two of my Acanthoscurria geniculata. You can see the difference.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:
Becca is correct..not all of the flaps are identical. They are similar but this will give the general idea on what to look for.That is why I store these photos. I keep very intracte records of sizes, molts, sexing, eating and other information on all of my pets.
how do you keep track of your records, microsoft excell , or word, and if so how do you organize it? i just wanna give the best possible care to my T's, plus i will be able to get more too :D

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I use my Microsoft Works in my XP.

I use the spreadsheets & database.

I customize each page for the actual spider or scorpions. It's quite complex but it works. It takes me like 5 mintues to find something usually.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
jbrd said:
how do you keep track of your records, microsoft excell , or word, and if so how do you organize it? i just wanna give the best possible care to my T's, plus i will be able to get more too :D
I use a spreadsheet that Guy Tansley (www.giantspiders.com) set up. I've tweaked it a little to fit my needs and it works wonderfully!

http://www.giantspiders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1076

BTW - here's a link to a page regarding sexing by exuvium.
http://www.spidershoppe.com/spermathecae1.html

Last edited:

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
This should be in a sticky. Along with a really good pic of a male exuvium and a couple good ventral sexing pics too. That way people can just go to the sticky and compare their pictures to some really accurate ones. Don't y'all think so?

It is now.

Beginners thread, sexing.

Loaded with links like anchovies on a pizza.

Check out Spider Shoppe's spermathecae gallery.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
Tescos said:
Sorry I couldn't resist! ;P [
Again sorry if there are any spelling mistakes or if your more confused than what you were but if your going to do things.......... {D ;)
Write up what physiological use each labeled part has and you'll qualify for a " :clap: ". Otherwise you'll get a " :rolleyes: " {D

-Lonnie

Sasa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This is the thing you want to see:

And here´s a male:

Male outside:

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
Tescos said:
I agree this is I find a good collection of spermatheca photos but there are 2 pics that don't look quite right for me and have a suspicion that they could in fact be male epigastric organs.
first this one...
possible male organs?
and maybe this one.......
possible male organs?

My reasons are the very small gonopore, lack of uterus externus ,lack of lower alcove and also the shape of them looking to be very wide at the top but having a narrow base. Off course I could be wrong and it would be better if I could play around with the skin myself to be able to tell for certain.
Nether the less a fine collection of spermatheca pics.
:)
It was all tripe anyway :rolleyes:.

Last edited: