how long do i wait until i can feed..

ezekeil

Arachnopeon
my 2" regalis sling, he molted 2 days ago and he appears to be out on the prowl for food most of the time, his fangs are the black/red colour and his abdomen needs fattening up! is he ready to be fed or what?

thanks!

8 leg wonder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
give it a try and if it doesn't take it remove the prey item an try again in a day or 2

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You can try it now if you think it is ready. You may want to pre-kill the food, though, so there is no risk of injury.

If you give it live food - remove it after a few hours if not eaten.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
ezekeil said:
is it ok to feed him then? i dont want him breaking a fang or something :eek:
It won't eat unless it is ready. Broken fangs usually result from the spider trying to bite in self-defense (metal tongs, for example). If it eats, the fangs are hard enough. Waiting another day or two is not going to hurt the spider.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I second that opinion- I find that even most of my small slings wait a week. Just make sure you have fresh water available. ( I have an avic that had a hard molt recently, and although I see her drink every day, it's been 4 weeks since she fed, either live or pre-killed) It's normal for them to look very skinny after a molt- she'll fatten up real quick!

Last edited: