Popcorn, anyone?

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I know I probably shouldn't have, but I did anyway...

I went to a local petstore to pick up some crickets and I glanced over at the tarantulas. I saw a large adult (female?) G. rosea that looked a little dehydrated and another spider (unknown species) that was dead. Its legs were curled in and the abdomen was sunken in. :(

The owner of the store was there and I asked about the Ts that they had. They had just received a shipment in of new Ts and the box hadn't even been opened yet. I waited around for the box to be opened and I was really shocked to see how the animals were packaged!

There were about 4 Ts, most of which were just thrown in a deli cup with no padding (one had some soil) and were tossed in a styrofoam box. There were also iguanas in a burlap bag in the box and some scorpions.

He handed me two of the tarantulas and I was telling him which was which. His invoice said that he had received a "Cobalt Blue" and an "Asian Birdeater." I couldn't positively ID either of them as a "Cobalt Blue," although I was pretty sure both were some type of Haplopelma spp.

The smaller of the two had a very small abdomen and didn't look too good. The larger one threw an instant threat pose (fangs beared) when he put it in a tank and seemed to be doing somewhat okay.

I bought the little one. :eek:

It was cheap and it turned out that the owner's cousin is married to my cousin. I got a good deal.

Anyway, I'm not really sure what it is. It's somewhere around 3" and seems a bit skittish, although I haven't seen a threat pose yet.

Assuming that it is an Asian species and an obligate burrower (I could be wrong, of course), I have set it up with plenty of substrate to burrow in.

I know that it's not possible to ID a tarantula by a photograph, but I'd appreciate any information that can give me a clue as to what species (or even genus) it may be.

Here's the deli cup that it came in:

Top view, still in the cup:

In its new home. I put the deli cup on its side and opened the lid. I haven't gotten either out yet.

Side view:

Once again, any help/advice/suggestions/etc. is appreciated!

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Very nice Becca!

I don't know anythign about I.D.'ing of asian sp but all I know is that I want you to sell me it! lol.

I wish our Petcos had them. I am tired of driving 3 hours to a small T store that doesn't have much!

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Heh, this was a little "Mom and Pop" type petstore. They have some other stuff in there and I'm going to check back in. The owner talked to me for awhile and I told him if he had any questions or if he had a spider he wasn't sure about, then to call my school (he was familiar with it) and ask for the teacher who has the spiders and they would know who I was. :)

The price was just too good to pass up.

EDED

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cool looking spider,,,it doesnt look bad

schmidti?

i think your set up is fine, with a water dish keep it undisturbed for a week or so, before start feeding, or give it a shelter if it doesnt burrow a week or so later.

goodluck.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thrixopelma pruriens (Peruvian Green Velvet) ??

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
jbrd said:
Thrixopelma pruriens (Peruvian Green Velvet) ??
I'm pretty sure that it is an OW species (usual disclaimer: I could be wrong :))

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well it looks alittle greenish and you said it was kinda of skitish. has it been climbing the glass too, is it fast? just tring to be helpfull.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
jbrd said:
well it looks alittle greenish and you said it was kinda of skitish. has it been climbing the glass too, is it fast? just tring to be helpfull.
I appreciate the help. :)

It does seem VERY skittish, and understandably so (considering that it just got through with a tough shipping trip). I tried to get the lid out with tongs, but it touched one of the legs and it jumped all over the place and ran up on the lid.

The abdomen is really small and I'm tempted to try to feed it now, but I don't want to stress it out any more than it already is.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Disregard anything I've said about a threat pose. :rolleyes:

It apparently decided that it did not appreciate my efforts to make it more comfortable and pitched a fit when I touched the tank. Now it is in the "permanent threat pose" position. :)

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm fairly inexperienced with Asains, but after a quick check at Rick West's site I would also say Haplopelma schmidti dark color form. Just an educated guess, mind you. Looks like a pretty close match, though. I can almost assure you it's Haplopelma.

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well from my limited expereince, all my T's have taken crics in the first hour they were in there new home. might be worth a try?

Jetzie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i aquired 1 of such recently too. was labelled as H.minax but obviously it isnt.
My guess is a H.sp "logipedum" schmidti dark form maybe not.. the mostache isnt that long to be 1? i could be wrong tho.

tt's a picture of mine. i think it looks identical to the threadstarter :)

Ishkabibble

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'd have to jump on the H. Schmidti bandwagon. The markings on the prosoma, the greenish hue, the yellowish femur bands. But what the heck, I've been wrong before and will be again about something... I know, Ask Botar!

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So....is the H. schmidti "dark form" actually H. schmidti? I've been looking around and found a lot of conflicting stuff. Some say H. schmidti....some says S. hainana....others say O. hainana. The one pictured has the white beard so......

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
If it were H.schmidti or O.hainana it would have even more face fungus then me :D see >Here< id say there's a good chance that's a clean and happy looking Haplopelma.sp "Vietnam".

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Here's a couple more pictures:

Even though I don't know what species it is for sure, I can be pretty sure that I should keep it set up as a deep burrower, correct?

Joe1968

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That looks exactly like my H. aureopilosum, she is an adult full grown female that I bought at a pet store that was labelled "Thailand Black" for a while I thought it was a minax. she was fairly cheap too $24 cage included, well the guys at the pet store were to scared to place on a deli cup so they just decided to throw in the cage.

she also give me the threat posture and should would stay in that position for like 30 minutes. I named her Vicious.

Attachments

Last edited: