from Mexico City

Carlos Erion

Arachnopeon
Hi you all

I'm from Mexico City, and I was wondering if there is a dealer that provides service to mexico city.

I'm willing to start in the hobby with more Ts

I already have a Grammostola rosea but I would love to have some more terrestrial ones.

any clues.

KUDOS for the forum threads they are all very enlightenning.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Hello and welcome to the boards!

As for dealers shipping to Mexico, I don't know... But I do know you have some of the most desirable Ts living there in Mexico that you could go hunting for and capture for free. Plus it's pretty good fun :)

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it is illegall to capture tarantulas in Mexico?

Carlos Erion

Arachnopeon
yes it is

since the Brachyplema species is so famous and expensive, it is a protected species.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Maybe then you can catch Aphonopelma bicoloratum or caniceps in the desert areas. Take a trip around Costa Rica or Panama find others. Collect scorpions and all kinds of nifty bugs

And maybe you could get a permit to collect Brachypelma spp from areas that are being developed to save them from habitat destruction

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I have heard you can pretty much find brachys in mexico at the street marts..Under the table so to speak..ask around?
T

Carlos Erion

Arachnopeon
Agree

It all sounds like fun, but it may be a little more expensive than just buying one from a dealer.

Carlos Erion

Arachnopeon
not really

tony said:
I have heard you can pretty much find brachys in mexico at the street marts..Under the table so to speak..ask around?
T
and if you do, they are in a bad shape and very expensive, last week I met a girl at a flea market she had a T for sale, The girl wanted $45.00 and not pesos but U.S. dollars.

and you see there is no guarantee on the health of the T.

see what I mean?

Last edited:

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Yes I see...But perhap she was used to selling to tourista's ;)
T :)

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I think going through a dealer, if you can find one, is your best bet. You are proceeding in a responsible manner.

If any of the dealers on the boards know of someone that deals in Mexico, please speak up.

Knowing the health and being certain of the species is well worth the effort to find a good dealer.

Good luck.

SergioCR

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Carlos Erion said:
Hi you all

I'm from Mexico City, and I was wondering if there is a dealer that provides service to mexico city.

I'm willing to start in the hobby with more Ts

I already have a Grammostola rosea but I would love to have some more terrestrial ones.

any clues.

KUDOS for the forum threads they are all very enlightenning.
Hi!
I'm from Costa Rica!
Great to see some more "latinos" around here!
Welcome aboard!

Sergio.

Carlos Erion

Arachnopeon
I got to ask again

Sorry guys
I insist, do you know about any dealer that gives service to México City? :?

I really want to get deeper into the hobby by buying more interesting Ts.

but you the pet´s stores in mexico only sell G. Roseas. :wall:

Arachnophiliac

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hello. I am currently in Mexico city and recently visited a mall (Plaza Lindavista) which has 2 pet stores. The one downstairs (+kota) had 4 species listed (none in stock, but they told me they would get more in a week, and this was a few days ago), and the other upstairs (Pet Store I believe), which only had a Rosie, but assured me that they do get a few other species. I must point out however that the one upstairs seemed more concerned about legalities and they clearly display their CITES permits for all imported CITES animals. I spoke with the sales rep for a bit and they struck me as a more ethical place than the one downstairs. If this is too far away, my cuñada tells me that +kota has many locations in the city and some of the largest are Plaza Mundo E, Pavillon Polanco and Plaza Universidad. I also saw someone selling a large Brachypelma (or rather they sold it before I saw it, described it like a smithi) for $80 M.N. in the tianguis, but I can assure you that it was not legal! As a side note, I would very much like to contact you directly as I am eagerly looking for any other tarantula enthusiasts I can meet up with on my travels (from México to Argentina!). I will not be in D.F. for long, but if there is a phone number I can reach you at, I could give you a call and we could meet to chat tarantulas. If this is not possible in time, I will be returning to D.F. for a little while in about a month or so, before leaving México for Guatemala. Please write me through my email address (Arachnophiliacs@hotmail.com) and put "Bruce" as the subject. Anyone else in Latin America who would like to meet up can certainly feel free to write me as well. ¡Puedo hablar Español, pero no muy bien! Cheers,
Bruce

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Arachnophiliac said:
Hello. I am currently in Mexico city and recently visited a mall (Plaza Lindavista) which has 2 pet stores. The one downstairs (+kota) had 4 species listed (none in stock, but they told me they would get more in a week, and this was a few days ago), and the other upstairs (Pet Store I believe), which only had a Rosie, but assured me that they do get a few other species. I must point out however that the one upstairs seemed more concerned about legalities and they clearly display their CITES permits for all imported CITES animals. I spoke with the sales rep for a bit and they struck me as a more ethical place than the one downstairs. If this is too far away, my cuñada tells me that +kota has many locations in the city and some of the largest are Plaza Mundo E, Pavillon Polanco and Plaza Universidad. I also saw someone selling a large Brachypelma (or rather they sold it before I saw it, described it like a smithi) for $80 M.N. in the tianguis, but I can assure you that it was not legal! As a side note, I would very much like to contact you directly as I am eagerly looking for any other tarantula enthusiasts I can meet up with on my travels (from México to Argentina!). I will not be in D.F. for long, but if there is a phone number I can reach you at, I could give you a call and we could meet to chat tarantulas. If this is not possible in time, I will be returning to D.F. for a little while in about a month or so, before leaving México for Guatemala. Please write me through my email address (Arachnophiliacs@hotmail.com) and put "Bruce" as the subject. Anyone else in Latin America who would like to meet up can certainly feel free to write me as well. ¡Puedo hablar Español, pero no muy bien! Cheers,
Bruce
Hey Bruce, good to see you on the boards... good luck with the trip to Palenque.

Eman - ya sabes quien soy... ;)

Juliancito

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Paisano.

Hi carlos, im from Monterrey and i currently have some B.smithi spiderlings, they are breedcaptive.
I dont like wild cawght specimens..no ofence..:cool:
Right now im in the process of getting my breeder/dealer certification, so i can have my permits and all.
Just hope the paper work don't take to long.

Send me a pm if you like

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I also believe you mexicans have Tityus sp.

Highly desired in the scorpion hobby

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello Sheri,

Sheri said:
I think going through a dealer, [...] and being certain of the species is well worth the effort to find a good dealer.
but how many good (= one can be sure that the species is correct labelled) dealers are there?

all the best,
Martin

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Martin H. said:
Hello Sheri,
but how many good (= one can be sure that the species is correct labelled) dealers are there?
In Germany?
I have no idea. ;)

Sheri