Chicken-eating spider

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

in reply to this post >>click here<< in this locked thread >>click here<<

Hello Kenneth,

KennethM said:
King Baboons have also been reported to communally raise/co-habitate with spiderlings in the mother's burrows. Hysterocrates also have. Both Old World spiders so this is a first for new world spiders.
nope, not the first. See e.g. this article:
  • COCROFT, R. B. & K. HAMBLER (1989): Observations on a commensal relationship of the microhylid frog Chismocleis ventrimaculata and the burrowing theraphosid spider Xenestis immanis in southeastern Peru. Biotropica 21(1): 2-8.
In this paper you'll find information and photos of "juvenile" spiders still living in the mother's burrow.

BTW, I was told the species in this article is not Xenesthis immanis but probably a Pamphobeteus species.

all the best,
Martin

.........lighten up and get educated before that fear kicks in............

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I saw the Chicken Spider

I saw the "chicken spider" on PBS in the Nature mini-series Deep Jungle but I've never seen Bigfoot, Nessie, or a UFO. I believe...it could be a new species...or one already described. Time will tell. Until then don't count your chickens even after they hatch ;)

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, brother! Go read the thread that Martin links before you start all over again what got that first thread locked!

Thank you, Martin, for posting useful information.

Last edited:

Kid Dragon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Elizabeth said:
Oh, brother! Go read the thread that Martin links before you start all over again what got that first thread locked!

Thank you, Martin, for posting useful information.
What causes threads to get lock is not understanding useful information is in the eye of the beholder. My post was informative. My post told people the "chicken spider" was on PBS yesterday in a show called Deep Jungle. Your post was judgemental. If that was already information given in a previous post that I did not have time to read, I don't think my post harmed anyone.

This is not directed at Elizabeth, but I have to say that in general this is not the friendliest place for a newcomer to post. Many are quick to tell people how to use the search button, when kinder answers could be given. Did anyone think of the possibility people come to a board like this to interact with people that share a common interest? If you discourage people or chase people away, you never know what contact you have lost, that could have helped you with something down the road.

There is strength in numbers. You never know who could help lobby for your right to own exotic pets.

I think its easier to not respond to a person's post you have no interest in, than to respond in a negative way. JMO.

brachymad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:
What causes threads to get lock is not understanding useful information is in the eye of the beholder. My post was informative. My post told people the "chicken spider" was on PBS yesterday in a show called Deep Jungle. Your post was judgemental. If that was already information given in a previous post that I did not have time to read, I don't think my post harmed anyone.

This is not directed at Elizabeth, but I have to say that in general this is not the friendliest place for a newcomer to post. Many are quick to tell people how to use the search button, when kinder answers could be given. Did anyone think of the possibility people come to a board like this to interact with people that share a common interest? If you discourage people or chase people away, you never know what contact you have lost, that could have helped you with something down the road.

There is strength in numbers. You never know who could help lobby for your right to own exotic pets.

I think its easier to not respond to a person's post you have no interest in, than to respond in a negative way. JMO.

:clap: well said

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes... I think engaging debate can occur.

Though it helps to have some the research BEFORE arming the warheads. ;)

Thanks Martin for the info. We shall all absorb it before making sensational posts. :D

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:
What causes threads to get lock is not understanding useful information is in the eye of the beholder.
No, not quite. You could go look at the thread to see why it got locked.

I understand the idea of welcoming newcomers. Still, I think I would have the same type of response in a situation like this: info added to a prior thread that got locked in the midst of some real debate and shared info. I would like to keep threads informative threads open as long as possible, especially when the debate is on the more academic side.

No hard feelings. :)

Last edited:

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kid Dragon said:

Yes, that is very true, I prolly would have said something about it, but half the board already hates me :eek:

Part of the reason the other thread was locked is because i said some naughty things that i should not have said :wall:

-Mattyb