Can anyone help me identify this little spider?

WasK

Arachnopeon
My son found this in the yard this past weekend. I've not seen a jumping spider like this one before. It's about 4 mm in length and was found in Winston Salem, North Carolina. Anyone know what it is? :?

Thanks for any help!

bugsnstuff

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
looks like a Hentzia sp. of some kind to me, but i'm not 100%

WasK

Arachnopeon
Thank you...

I searched google for Hentzia sp and found a photo that is an exact match. This is Hentzia mitrata. Your help is much appreciated.

WK

WasK

Arachnopeon
Thanks Ythier and Kyle for the comments on the picture. Actually, I photographed another tiny jumping spider yesterday and do not know what it is. If it's OK, I was planning on posting the picture here later today when I get home from work and asking if anyone here can help identify this one. Sorry for all the questions. I need to go buy a field guide to small spiders!

Cheers,
WK

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i'm pretty sure the ppl who choose to look at a "...help me ID..." post all like to try and solve the mystery :)

plus you take some pretty nice pics :)

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WasK said:
My son found this in the yard this past weekend. I've not seen a jumping spider like this one before. It's about 4 mm in length and was found in Winston Salem, North Carolina. Anyone know what it is? :?

Thanks for any help! QUOTE]

Hentzia mitrata (Hentz, 1832)

just visit this link for pics

http://salticidae.org/salticid/diagnost/hentzia/mitra-gb.htm

and this link for overall care and general info of jumping spiders

http://www.emporia.edu/ksn/v47n1-february2001/intro.htm

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
wow, i can't believe i've never been to salticidae.org before!
big ol site!

WasK

Arachnopeon
Thanks Cacoseraph and Stonemantis.

Here is the other spider I mentioned in my post earlier today. It's also a jumping spider about 4 mm in length and has captured what looks to be a phlebotomous fly of some sort. The photo is a little underexposed because I had to use a 1/500 second shutterspeed to compensate for a breeze that was moving the scene.

Anyone know this one?

Cheers!

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WasK said:
Thanks Cacoseraph and Stonemantis.

Here is the other spider I mentioned in my post earlier today. It's also a jumping spider about 4 mm in length and has captured what looks to be a phlebotomous fly of some sort. The photo is a little underexposed because I had to use a 1/500 second shutterspeed to compensate for a breeze that was moving the scene.

Anyone know this one?

Cheers!
Artabrus erythrocephalus (C. L. Koch, 1846)

http://salticidae.org/salticid/diagnost/artabrus/eryth-ph.htm

Or

Epeus flavobilineatus (J. Koch 1989)

http://salticidae.org/salticid/diagnost/epeus/flav-mph.htm

Kind of hard to tell from the camera angle. :)

WasK

Arachnopeon
Thanks. Well, the spiders pictured on the links you gave look very similar, and "erythrocephalus" certainly describes the red-headed appearance of this little spider. But the localities given for the spiders pictured in the links are listed as Java and Malaysia. My spider is stalking the woods here in North Carolina, USA. Are spider species as broad-ranging as that?

Here's another picture from a different angle that shows the dorsum a little better. Any different thoughts based on this view?

Your input is greatly appreciated!

WK

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hahaha they are alll soo cute especially the first one hahahaha ... soo funny

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Awesome pix! Is the second one actually transparent or transparent-green?

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow... :eek:
What kind of camera do you use Wask ?
Thanks,
Eric

WasK

Arachnopeon
Thanks Kirdec, Johnson, and Eric. Yes, this spider has a transparent look about it. It is small enough that the light of the flash passes through it, especially the legs.

Eric, the lens / camera used for these pictures was a Sigma 180mm macro on a Nikon D70 body. Flash was an SB800 speedlight mounted on the camera. I looked at some of the photos on your scorpion site. You have some very nice shots there! What photo system do you use for macro?

Cheers,
WK

Ythier

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks WK,
I use either a old Nikon FG + 55 micro Nikor + annular flash, or a Nikon Coolpix.
But my simple photos can't be compared with your wonderful photos :rolleyes: ...
Cheers,
Eric

Axe

Arachnopeon
WasK said:
Sigma 180mm macro on a Nikon D70 body
How is that 180mm Sigma compared to the 105mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor? I've been thinking about the Nikkor for my D100 & N90s, but that Sigma looks pretty darn good. How sharp is it at 100%?