Got a P. regalis question

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Hello.
I am new to the pokie world and have some questions.

I thought I was doing a good thing by getting a 10 gallon w/ slider lid and standing it upright, putting foliage in there and a peice of wood. However..she seems to not be able to climb glass at all. She will try to get up there but she will never leave the ground. I found her on the screen today. It seems she can climb that well. She can climb the pc. of wood that sits on the floor decently.

Should I glue Cork bark tubes and flats in there on the back and sides to help?

Maybe look at the setup and let me know what I could improve on.

I want to make sure I am doing the right thing for her. I don't want to mess with this girls health.

Thanks in advance!

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Mine does just fine on glass.

When is the last time yours molted? Perhaps this is the reason?

Scolopendra

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
teflon pokey?

the only possible prob i can see is the amount of foliage, my regalis never gets off the glass so it could just be a stress thing. maybe try putting in more textured items like corkbark

Arachnomaniak

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks good to me. Some cork bark fixed to the sides would prob help though. Maybe place them low enough so the regalis can climb up onto them from the floor. Strange that it cannot climb the glass though. Was it cleaned with something in particular? Upcomming moult could also be a cause.

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would take out the piece of wood on the floor and replace it with a tall piece of cork bark to provide a hide off the ground.

As for not being able to climb the glass...don't worry, she can climb it, and probably just feels a little unsure about being up that high on a strange surface with nothing to hold onto...branches, leaves etc. in the wild. The cork bark will also give her an adequate substitute to wander up high.

Best of luck.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I just got her yesterday on a trade. I have no way to determine molt history. I will try the cork bark tubes and flats affixed to the back and sides. Hopefully that will work. I just want to be sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks!

Should I do less foliage?

shogun804

Arachnogeneral
Old Timer
hey chris my large female could not climb that well when i recieved her in march she ended up builiding a web structure on the ground and rarely left it well on the 21st of april she molted now her climbing is back to 100%, checking for an upcoming molt on a pokie check the ventral side of the legs ie leg joints if the look really dark in color a molt could be coming and if she does not eat that is another very good sign of a molt but im sure you know that ;) congrats on the new pokie :clap:

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:
I just got her yesterday on a trade. I have no way to determine molt history. I will try the cork bark tubes and flats affixed to the back and sides. Hopefully that will work. I just want to be sure I am doing the right thing.

Thanks!

Should I do less foliage?

The trees and leaves and plants look cool...but they are a pain in the a$$ since crickets will hide in there....just a thought...looks good tho...

Regards, Mike