So what tank-sizes do you keep your adult Lasiodora in?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Because this is getting ridiculous.

The last time my female L.parahybana acted this way (climbed constantly, tried to get out, didn't eat) was when I changed her enclosure to this current, bigger, one.

You can't seriously tell me she needs something bigger than ..can't find my measurement-sticks either, of course, but it is something along the lines of 70*40cm, which ~ 27.3 * 15.6 inches.

Bad picture because it is night and I only have a low-energy bulb in the ceiling of this room; it is here for an idea of size. And my (Potato's) predicament.

And yes, she uses her teeth to try and lift the lid..so she will eventually break them, but hasn't yet as far as I can see. Thus that should not be why she won't eat. She isn't in premolt either.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't have a parahybana but i do have a big blondi, and i keep her in a 29gal aquarium. Thats 24" length, 16" height, and 12" width.

-Mattyb

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
I keep my 8" girl in a 10 gallon. She doesn't climb and use her fangs to try and escape, but my male did, and would break his fangs off about halfway. I have a feeling he would have done that no matter what the size terrarium. I eventually had to take him out and put him in an all plastic container. He would still sometimes stick a fang through an airhole.
I guess I'm saying that I don't know if a bigger space will make Potato stop breaking her fangs, you may have to get her into a different kind of setup to stop it.

koldaar

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have three 3" parahybana juvies. I plan on selling one and then keeping one in a 20 gallon tank and the other in a 10 gallon tank, when they are big enough of course. Those are the plans for now, if the one in the 10 gallon starts doing what yours does I may have to rethink that plan.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thank you for your replies. I am half-way suspecting she just gets tired of her enclosures after a period of time....but of course not. She might be a bad huntress as well as expert in making times for me tough, but I doubt she is truly evil.

Anyway, I'll try to make what small modifications I can to this her current enclosure; temperature, layout of logs, lower the water-bowl, keep a blanket over half..etc. If none of that works, we'll see if l switch the enclosure or the spider :p Not so easy to acquire bigger enclosures, and she certainly did like this one.

Last edited:

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
K, so this night I tried to keep a blanket over half her enclosure, a heatmat against one side, and lightly misted the sides with water. No difference.

She has webbed absolutely every side and everything, just like last time before I switched to this bigger enclosure...

Anyone got any ideas? Think a halfly buried pot as a hide would do any good? Worth a try, at least, I feel.

Are we stubborn yet?

Like you wouldn't believe, and I'd rather tear off my abdomen than stay in this hell!! :(

Last edited:

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vys said:
Because this is getting ridiculous.

The last time my female L.parahybana acted this way (climbed constantly, tried to get out, didn't eat) was when I changed her enclosure to this current, bigger, one.

You can't seriously tell me she needs something bigger than ..can't find my measurement-sticks either, of course, but it is something along the lines of 70*40cm, which ~ 27.3 * 15.6 inches.

Bad picture because it is night and I only have a low-energy bulb in the ceiling of this room; it is here for an idea of size. And my (Potato's) predicament.

And yes, she uses her teeth to try and lift the lid..so she will eventually break them, but hasn't yet as far as I can see. Thus that should not be why she won't eat. She isn't in premolt either.
Is sth spider wildcaugth.! They sometimes have bad acclimatisationproblem. Try another tank with dryer substrat. Cheers!!!///Johan

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She isn't wild-caught as far as I'm aware and the substrate is normally kept bone dry. Additionally, it would seem odd that she'd suffer acclimatisation-problems after she'd lived in the tank for one year without problems.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vys knows just fine how to take care of his bugs.

My parahybana female would also act strangely, but I was able to attribute it (I think) to seasonal tempurature changes.

I would raise the substrate and start a sturdy burrow for her underground. This way... it's like adding a second level to your house. Double the space in an instant. And at least lessens the risk of a fall from the top rupturing her very pretty but easily sacrificed abdomen.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
..And obviously she came to think of this only after a year? :/ I do agree, don't get me wrong; it is probably something with the tank that is wrong but..nothing has really changed. A week ago or so she was acting relatively normally, and two weeks ago or so she ate. Fish, as it were.

Concerning the substrate, it is mostly white peat with some orchid-mulch in places. This girl also used to climb when I sometimes sprayed too much, but I only do it like once a month, if even that. Other times, it is, as said, kept dry.

I don't know what is a stick in the enclosure, but I think I get what you are proposing with the piece of cork bark. I just might try that, thanks (although she has always crept into the somewhat dug-out area at the top right corner when she's been spooked.)

I know she will probably kill herself if she continues this, but I don't think ventilation is a problem..at least, it wasn't before. A screen top, wouldn't she get stuck in that? I have no idea whatsoever where to get the plastic mesh, or how to get it to stick to the aquarium, or even how to create a kind of top-piece with the hard-to-locate plastic mesh, and how to get it to stick to the top, so it doesn't seem all that viable.

Sheri: Yes, I think that might be an idea..rearrange the logs a bit, raise the substrate, and make some sort of hole for her.
I suppose it could have something to do with it turning to summer now, but..it never gets more than ~26 C inside her enclosure anyway, and she's supposed to be a tropical bug :(

Last edited:

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
I personally keep all my adult T's in 40 dram vials. I am going for a Bonsai kitten look for the spiders...Makes feeding real tough...

T

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pic Please.

I have NO idea what that size is.

And why BTW? I love having a set up that is at least remotely pleasing to the eye. Or it just feels like stock on a shelf. And makes it far less interesting to observe behaviour IMO.

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Bahahahha...

Seriously, you tank is plenty big...Take heed of the suggestions posted. My parahybana is in a 14"x10"x5" kritter keepr and is dry most of the time
Tony

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I suppose they do that in the wild, when they want a suitably hollow log or a deep underground cavern to appear, they dig some half-hearted pit somewhere and don't sit in it?
As for health, I am wondering if she is really sane. But, I have now tried to dig some half-hearted pit myself (how can I make something sturdy with peat? It isn't possible) under the synthetic cork-bark-stick which I moved, and I also halfly buried a flowerpot. So we'll see. Will buy more substrate if this doesn't help.

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what's the weather like where you live? cuz i'm thinking spring just started and it's been spring showers where i live... maybe it's so humid the spider thinks it's flood time (from rain forests, right?) and she needs to abandon her current digs and find someplace up elevation?

cuz i mean, you really only do control a portion of environmental queues, maybe there are enough natural ones to trigger so instincts or something.

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Vys said:
I suppose they do that in the wild, when they want a suitably hollow log or a deep underground cavern to appear, they dig some half-hearted pit somewhere and don't sit in it?
As for health, I am wondering if she is really sane. But, I have now tried to dig some half-hearted pit myself (how can I make something sturdy with peat? It isn't possible) under the synthetic cork-bark-stick which I moved, and I also halfly buried a flowerpot. So we'll see. Will buy more substrate if this doesn't help.

For my burrowers I mix in organic soil to allow it to mold properly...
Also... one of these hamster tunnel thingies can really help start a decent burrow. And they are very inexpensive.

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Icelos: I don't have a hollow log and just recently you said the peat wasn't supposed to be very wet. I had no idea fake fern leaves even existed. I can't really picture what it is you are expecting now, either.
I can tell you though, that after ~4 years in the hobby, I know the characteristics of peat ;)
*Sigh*..I don't mean to be rude, I'm just having troubles following your line of thought.

Cacoseraph: It gets damper in the summers here, but not that damp. I have a spruce outside my window. Still, most other alternatives, including mental illness, beg to be abandoned.

She doesn't seem to like her altered terrain, so far..(still on the wall)

Last edited:

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Just another suggestion (just for variety) -

You could get plexiglass and make a lid of it, drill some holes in the top for ventilation so you get rid of the hole in the corner. Then get some... erm.. "pianotråd" dunno what that type of wire is called in english, and custom make clamps that keep the lid down. It seems you have a frame that goes all arround the tank so you should be able to old on to the rigdes arround the top. The wire is very cheap so if you needed several tries to get it right it wouldn't ruin you. Good luck with whatever you wanna do to solve this problem!

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That is a good suggestion. Somewhat ugly, but if I can't get her to stay calm otherwise..
This is assuming lack of ventilation is the problem, or part of it. There is never any condensation on the inside of the terrarium though.