Cricket Food

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you cant get your hands on gut-load or something similar, is there any type of house hold food that is especialy good for healthy feed-crickets?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most fruits and vegetables will work. Just make sure you remove them before they get too nasty. Also, dry pet food works well.

Bellis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Should i crush the pet food, or just throw in a couple pieces of kibble?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Bellis said:
Should i crush the pet food, or just throw in a couple pieces of kibble?
As long as it is not hard as a rock, they should be able to eat it. Although crushing it wouldn't hurt.

Oh yeah, whole grain cereals work good too.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I use slices of apples, like two weeks ago i bought 4doz. crix, and i still have some left, i just put a new apple slice in when the one thats in there dries up. They seem to love it.

-Mattyb

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fish flake food is extremely nutricious and cheap.

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Shelob said:
Fish flake food is extremely nutricious and cheap.
I agree fish flake food is the way to go. It's full of protein and I've had less cannibalism using fish flake food and a shallow waterdish with a ramp to avoid drownings

Apocalypstick

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Mattyb said:
I use slices of apples, like two weeks ago i bought 4doz. crix, and i still have some left, i just put a new apple slice in when the one thats in there dries up. They seem to love it.

-Mattyb

They love apples!!! I always crush up my dog chow stuff so it's kinda like substrate. They like those field veggies that come in a premixed bag (I like them too :D ). Also, if I'm getting some for me, I'll give them pea pods...they like those too.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I toss in some cat food (uncrushed) and cucumber for water. They become fat on that and survive several weeks on that here.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah fish flakes are good, i feed my roaches fish flakes.

-Mattyb

JohnxII

Avicoholic
Old Timer
Yep I agree. For alternative staple, fish food or dog food. For moisture, apple or carrot.