cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
is redwood compost substrate ok?

in _Tarantulas and Other Arachnids_ by Sam Marshall pine is mentioned as ok

but neither there, nor here, can i find mention of redwood specifically

the internet seemed to say it was bad, if anything

any experience/views?

oh, i plan to keep burrowing tarantulas, scorps, centis, and assorted misc. on it if the consensus it is ok.

Lopez

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have sequoia bark (very light and fine) in a few of my tanks for several months and no ill effects that I've noticed.

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Let me start off by saying I am a carpenter by trade. So I have a little experience with wood. Redwood is toxic. Actually, most species of wood that will not begin to rot instantly if kept under anything above normal humidity have oils that are toxic to even large vertebrates. This includes redwood, cedar, walnut, and almost any tropical wood. With the numerous economical options for substrate, I would advise against it.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
ah...

i opened the bag of compost and smelled it. it smells pretty, pungent, or almost tangy... and my guide has always been if it's too aromatic it's probably bad...

so that and "Redwood is toxic." wrap this up pretty neatly i'd say.

thanks critterz, i will not be using the red wood compost in my substrate :)

critterz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
ah...

i opened the bag of compost and smelled it. it smells pretty, pungent, or almost tangy... and my guide has always been if it's too aromatic it's probably bad...
That is good deduction friend; you're right on. The strong smell in most wood usually a natural pesticide and fungicide. This is the reason these woods resist rot. Glad I could help.

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
I think at that same store you smelled the compost, they have a huge bag of peat moss around $10 and using that will save you smelling mulch and using the insecticedal evergreen. And a couple $$ as well.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
afai can tell, this is the only thread i have ever started that actually asks a question. that's funny