'tis the season

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Well, after being a bit more than a bit jealous of Lelle and his herping success (http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=43813), it appears that spring has finally sprung here. It has stopped hailing/snowing etc. and the sun is out. I had a half hour to kill in the North end of the city so I went walking the drainage ditches and found three young garter snakes (Thamnophis sirtalis). All this year's young -- likely siblings due to their proximity. Anyhow, I didn't have my camera on me so Tamara and I figured we'd go out to one of our favourite spots later in the evening and see what we could find. We found the usual compliment of bess beetles, centipedes, millipedes, snails etc. We also found a purple-rimmed carabus. Herp-wise, we found Rana sylvatica and a well-fed T.sirtalis.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice pictures Dave! Now you need to find some northern pacifics aswell!!

/Lelle

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Nice finds! The first herps of the season are always greatly anticipated over here. Good job!.

-G

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Crotalus said:
Nice pictures Dave! Now you need to find some northern pacifics aswell!!
Unfortunately, these guys are WAY outside of our hunting range. The Florida Keys are closer to us than is British Columbia. That being said, when Kugellager comes up in July we will be heading to the alvars of the Bruce Peninsula, so Massassauga's (Sistrurus catenatus) are a possibility.

Cheers,
Dave