Tarantula personality?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Do you think tarantulas really do have personalities? I hear rosies can be sweet, but then they turn mean. Not all do it, but some do. I also hear OBTs can be wussies. Im really curious about what others think. PLEASE do not turn this into a debate, there are plenty of other intelligence threads. Yes, No, Maybe, Not sure, are pretty good answers :)

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Snipes said:
Do you think tarantulas really do have personalities? I hear rosies can be sweet, but then they turn mean. Not all do it, but some do. I also hear OBTs can be wussies. Im really curious about what others think. PLEASE do not turn this into a debate, there are plenty of other intelligence threads. Yes, No, Maybe, Not sure, are pretty good answers :)

First off...this will prolly turn into a debate, but IMO i think they do :)

-Mattyb

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
As with any animal, each individual will be different and thus have its own "personality". Naturally the personality of a given species and genus can be generalized, but they are not exact duplicates and therefore will behave differently from one another.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes it all depend on the individual ... for the Rosea , its typical to this species they become freak in the head by period and then come back totally docile

every personalitys got their degres of agressivity ...

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Windchaser said:
As with any animal, each individual will be different and thus have its own "personality". Naturally the personality of a given species and genus can be generalized, but they are not exact duplicates and therefore will behave differently from one another.

Very well said Windchaser :clap: :clap: :clap:

-Mattyb

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so far so good. Windchaser put it very well. I would love a P. regalis or a T. blondi with a lovely personality. :D

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Snipes said:
so far so good. Windchaser put it very well. I would love a P. regalis or a T. blondi with a lovely personality. :D

Acually my 8" female blondi is semi docile, i've held her twice and everything went well.

-Mattyb

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awsome! I envy u. I dont have one yet, but id love on. ~Be the substrate~

Rabid Flea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I remember my first rosie stayed sweet all through her life. Welllllll she did have the occasional skitzo moment but really she was a sweety. I do think the "personality" depends on the individual animal. Who knows what actually goes on inside their lil brains...

bugguy1

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
In my opinion tarantulas do have personalities...this is especially evident when you have multiples of the same species. Just because a book says a species is supposed to be a certain way doesn't mean that it will be. I have had smithi's and rosea's show aggression on quite a few occasions and it is obvious from pics on this site that species reported to be aggressive can be gentle when they want to. This is one of the things that I find interesting about this hobby...observing and seeing how each species acts and reacts.

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
all 8 of my T's have distinctive personalities. this is what makes you want to get more and more and more. damn i'm addicted.

bagheera

ArachnoTiger
Old Timer
Having had a few spiders over the years was a bit convining, but this board has truly convinced me that individuals can vary alot in temperment!

In my assortment;:

P murinus: semi-wuss
B vagans: hellspawn
B smithii: pussycat
C marshalli: shy
N colorotvillosis: neurotic

so some of theses "conform", some do not. I would say this constitutes their personalities. :?

baboons24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i agree with the comments on the rosies, but as for obt's, always treat them with respect, keep your eyes on the cage at all times when tending to them. an accidental bite by one would not be enjoyable. both of mine can do laps around the container in a split second, and they are offensive t even when a spiderling.

sublimeskunk37

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Kirdec said:
yes it all depend on the individual ... for the Rosea , its typical to this species they become freak in the head by period and then come back totally docile ..
Uh...ditto for my Rosie...She was a sweetheart for 3 months, and now.... :eek: Yeah...She bites her tank and crawls around incessantly as to voice her displeasure over something....Personally I think she's been chatting with my Usambara about how to achieve world domination... :}
Anyways, yes I do believe each Tarantula has their own unique and distinct personality.

Jaden

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe so.

I believe tarantulas like any other animal have diffrent personalities. Every one of mine act diffrent. That even includes those of the same spieces.

VoodooFuneral

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a Rosie, who will come to the side of her tank (not every time) when I put my face close and soflty call her. She will, many times, come up to me, place her peds & front pair of legs up on the glass, and just wait for me to pick her up for a "freedom session".

I also have a new Cobalt who, I believe, just the other evening, told me in no uncertain terms, to go have "a one-handed party with myself."

...ps: Back in 20 minutes. :? Heck, make it 30. :embarrassed:

Shelob

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
sublimeskunk37 said:
Personally I think she's been chatting with my Usambara about how to achieve world domination... :}
{D You made me laugh out loud when you said that

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks for ur responses. If people give tarantulas crap i can tell them that they have personalities(which i think a lot of people dont think), i just hope i dont go too far in my zeal and say they built the pyramids. :D

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sublimeskunk37 said:
Personally I think she's been chatting with my Usambara about how to achieve world domination... :}
QUOTE]
I wonder how many OBT's names are Stewie