Calling all you centipede experts

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I got my 1st pede today and was wondering if anyone knows what species it is. All I know is that it came from China. Any ideas?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not an expert like others, but that's not from China.
Scolopendra heros castaneiceps

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It's not a heros if it came from China. S. heros are from the South West US. That looks like a Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans to me.

Randolph XX()

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Trace said:
It's not a heros if it came from China. S. heros are from the South West US. That looks like a Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans to me.
well Terminal legs.....
and the red parts of the segments are more than multilans(3)

Last edited:

Trace

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If this specimen really came from China then why would an animal exporter ship a North American centipede across the world only to have it shipped back to Missouri? It doesn't make sense, especially since this is a small centipede.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I was told it was from China but that may not be true. I know virtually nothing about pedes but have wanted to try one for a long time. How big will this one get?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if it is S. heros c. it should get at least 5" and most likely will not grow to be much more than 8" if that... but it is a subject MUCH open to debate here :)

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok thanks.....and thanks for all the replies. You all have been very helpful :)

Jürgen

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hey!

i think ist a S.h.castaneiceps too.
looks like a pedeling or an juvenile pede!?

regards

jürgen

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Trace said:
If this specimen really came from China then why would an animal exporter ship a North American centipede across the world only to have it shipped back to Missouri? It doesn't make sense, especially since this is a small centipede.
:wall: <-- I had to put that
Anyway, I go with heros...A local vendor had these on hand just the other day, and said they look almost exactly like her chinese red heads except the Chinese have solid body-colored terminal legs. Have to see one, I am just getting into pedes.. As to length I think 6-7" with a rare 8".. The 10" reports are a myth..
T

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Most likely, at some level a dealer or pet shop aquired this centipede in a shipment and was unsure of what it was, found a picture of a Chinese red-head on the internet somewhere, and decided that was close enough and called it that.

Animals pass through so many hands before being purchased by the pet owner that the names attached to them may be compleatly meaningless.

Wade